History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Spilsby Theatre

A Grade II Listed Building in Spilsby, Lincolnshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.1741 / 53°10'26"N

Longitude: 0.0925 / 0°5'33"E

OS Eastings: 539956

OS Northings: 366152

OS Grid: TF399661

Mapcode National: GBR KVN.06M

Mapcode Global: WHJLY.DH91

Entry Name: Spilsby Theatre

Listing Date: 3 February 1967

Last Amended: 28 October 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1063587

English Heritage Legacy ID: 196165

Location: Spilsby, East Lindsey, Lincolnshire, PE23

County: Lincolnshire

District: East Lindsey

Civil Parish: Spilsby

Built-Up Area: Spilsby

Traditional County: Lincolnshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire

Church of England Parish: Spilsby St James

Church of England Diocese: Lincoln

Find accommodation in
Spilsby

Listing Text

SPILSBY CHURCH STREET
TF 36 NE
(north side)
2/50 Spilsby Theatre
(formerly listed as
3.2.67 Court House)
II
Former Sessions House and police station, now theatre. 1824, by
H. E. Kendall in Greek Doric style, altered later C19. Sandstone
ashlar with slate roofs, yellow brick to rear. Central courtroom
with subsidiary ranges in yellow brick with ashlar dressings to
either side. Tetrastyle giant portico with pediment, fluted
Doric columns, triglyph frieze. Tall central panelled double
doors with latticed overlight. Corner pilasters. To right a
single storey 2 bay range, glazing bar sashes having sandstone
architraves and parapet. To left a similar range but with C19
rectangular bay replacing one sash. The left hand elevation to
West End Road is a 2 storey block with plinth, first floor band
and corbelled eaves and has a flush 6 panel door with plain
overlight to right and 3 glazing bar sashes. To first floor are
4 similar windows. All openings have cambered brick heads with
keyblocks. Interior retains contemporary doors and cornices.
The Petty Sessions were formerly held here twice a week.


Listing NGR: TF3995666152

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.