This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.2721 / 53°16'19"N
Longitude: 0.1 / 0°6'0"E
OS Eastings: 540139
OS Northings: 377070
OS Grid: TF401770
Mapcode National: GBR YZ4L.GR
Mapcode Global: WHJLK.H0VV
Entry Name: Church of St Andrew
Listing Date: 9 March 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1063600
English Heritage Legacy ID: 196101
Location: South Thoresby, East Lindsey, Lincolnshire, LN13
District: East Lindsey
Civil Parish: South Thoresby
Traditional County: Lincolnshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire
Church of England Parish: Strubby Wold Marsh St Oswald
Church of England Diocese: Lincoln
SOUTH THORESBY CHURCH LANE
TF 47 NW (east side)
2/35 Church of
Parish church. 1738, restored 1872. Red brick in English bond
with ashlar dressings. Lead roofs with stone coped gables.
Western tower, nave, chancel. 3 stage tower with chamfered
plinth, 2 stone bands, offset belfry stage with plain parapet and
crocketed corner pinnacles. To the belfry stage are semi-
circular headed blocked openings with ashlar key and impost
blocks, to the south and north, and a similar louvred opening to
the west with ashlar surround. The south doorway is of 6 panels,
set in a Gibbsian surround with pediment in the field of which
is carved the date 1738. The leaded west window is a taller
version of the belfry light. The side walls of the nave have
plinth and brick dentillated eaves, with 2 semi-circular headed
lights at the west end. The chancel east window is a Venetian
window in matching style with broad pilasters dividing the
lights. Interior. Nave and chancel are undifferentiated.
Deeply coved ceiling cornice. Turned and fluted balusters re-
used in altar rail. Octagonal panelled C18 pulpit and readers
desk. All other fittings are C19 except for the C14 octagonal
font with traceried panels to the bowl. Monuments. On the south
wall of the nave a marble wall plaque in the form of an obelisk
to Willoughby Wood d.1786 with oval cartouche depicting a rose
bush with a single fallen rose.
Listing NGR: TF4013977070
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings