History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Helen

A Grade II Listed Building in Ashby with Scremby, Lincolnshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.1798 / 53°10'47"N

Longitude: 0.1366 / 0°8'11"E

OS Eastings: 542886

OS Northings: 366878

OS Grid: TF428668

Mapcode National: GBR KVH.RCC

Mapcode Global: WHJLZ.2BBM

Entry Name: Church of St Helen

Listing Date: 3 February 1967

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1063607

English Heritage Legacy ID: 196117

Location: Ashby with Scremby, East Lindsey, Lincolnshire, PE23

County: Lincolnshire

District: East Lindsey

Civil Parish: Ashby with Scremby

Traditional County: Lincolnshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire

Church of England Parish: Ashby-by-Partney St Helen

Church of England Diocese: Lincoln

Find accommodation in
Spilsby

Listing Text

ASHBY BY PARTNEY off NORTHFIELD ROAD
TF 46 NW
(west side)
3/2 Church of St. Helen
3.2.67
G.V. II
Parish church. 1841, restored 1892 by C. Hodgson Fowler. Pale
orange brick, ashlar dressings, slate roofs. Western tower,
nave, chancel. 2 stage tower with plinth, ashlar string courses,
battlemented ashlar parapet. To belfry stage a pointed louvred
light. On south side a pointed doorway with narrow rectangular
light above. On the west face a worn inscription panel. The
nave walls have plinth and corbelled out eaves course, with 2
pointed lights in ashlar surrounds. The lower chancel is similar
with a single pointed light to each side. Interior has chamfered
Tudor chancel arch. On chancel east wall 2 ashlar panels of
shields in quatrefoils. Fittings all C19 include 2 commandment
boards. Plain octagonal C14 font. On the west wall of the nave
a plaque to George Gilbi d.1580 with a scrolled surround and an
inscription.


Listing NGR: TF4288666878

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.