History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Andrew

A Grade II Listed Building in Sausthorpe, Lincolnshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.201 / 53°12'3"N

Longitude: 0.068 / 0°4'4"E

OS Eastings: 538228

OS Northings: 369097

OS Grid: TF382690

Mapcode National: GBR KV7.60R

Mapcode Global: WHJLR.0SMX

Entry Name: Church of St Andrew

Listing Date: 3 February 1967

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1063638

English Heritage Legacy ID: 195981

Location: Sausthorpe, East Lindsey, Lincolnshire, PE23

County: Lincolnshire

District: East Lindsey

Civil Parish: Sausthorpe

Traditional County: Lincolnshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire

Church of England Parish: Sausthorpe St Andrew

Church of England Diocese: Lincoln

Find accommodation in
Spilsby

Listing Text

SAUSTHORPE SKEGNESS ROAD
TF 36 NE (south side)

7/55 Church of
St. Andrew
3.2.67

G.V. II

Parish church. 1842 by Charles Kirk. Stock brick, ashlar
dressings. Slate roofs. Coped east chancel gable with kneelers
and single ridge cross to the east end. Nave with embattled
parapet and single ridge cross to the east end. Single stacks to
the north chancel and south nave. Buttressed and on a moulded
plinth apart from the vestry which is on a chamfered plinth.
Tower, nave, north vestry/organ chamber and chancel. Tower of 2
stages with bands, the angle buttresses with gabled crocketed
hood moulds. Rising over are small diagonal buttresses each with
2 small gargoyles and topped with large crocketed finials.
Embattled parapet, each side with 2 large gargoyles and
quatrefoil frieze under. From each finial extends a crocketed
flying buttress supporting the crocketed spire with 3 tiers of 4
lucarnes, the lower with 2 lights. West side with moulded arched
doorway, blind traceried double door, spandrels decorated with
single quatrefoils, hood mould and label stops. Over is a single
arched 3 light window with single transom and cusped panel
tracery. The north and south side each with single rectangular
lights, the south side with attached stair turret of 2 stages
with bands, parapet and 3 rectangular lights. 4 arched 2 light
bell chamber openings with cusped tracery, hood mould and label
stops. The north nave has 4 arched 2 light windows with cusped
tracery, hood moulds and label stops. Projecting from the north
chancel is the vestry/organ chamber with Caernarvon arched
doorway in the west wall, single 3 light ashlar mullion window in
the north wall and single 2 light window in the east wall with 2
arched and cusped lights under a flat arch. The east end has a
single arched 3 light traceried window with single transom with
cusped traceried lights, those below the transom being blind.
The south chancel has a single arched 2 light window with cusped
tracery, hood mould and label stops, to the left is a single
arched and cusped light with hood mould and label stops. The
south nave corresponds to the north nave. Interior. Quadruple
chamfered tower arch with doorway with blind and glazed traceried
panels. Projecting is a gallery decorated with blind tracery and
supported on 2 tapering octagonal columns with open traceried
brackets. Double chamfered tower arch, the inner order supported
on octagonal responds. Open traceried screen. To the left is a
small pointed chamfered archway. Chamfered chancel/organ chamber
arch. Chancel with decorative coloured and gilt roof.
Decorative coloured and gilt reredos with blind tracery. C19
furniture including elaborately carved chair. 2 late C18 floor
slabs each with single carved shield of arms. Further C18 floor
slab. Some decorative C19 tiles to the chancel/nave floor.
South chancel windows with Morris & Co. stained glass, 1907 and
1908.


Listing NGR: TF3822869097

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.