History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Western Stable Block, Gunby Hall

A Grade II* Listed Building in Candlesby with Gunby, Lincolnshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.1793 / 53°10'45"N

Longitude: 0.1939 / 0°11'38"E

OS Eastings: 546715

OS Northings: 366932

OS Grid: TF467669

Mapcode National: GBR LWX.MVX

Mapcode Global: WHJLZ.YCJ1

Entry Name: Western Stable Block, Gunby Hall

Listing Date: 3 February 1967

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1063657

English Heritage Legacy ID: 196024

Location: Candlesby with Gunby, East Lindsey, Lincolnshire, PE23

County: Lincolnshire

District: East Lindsey

Civil Parish: Candlesby with Gunby

Traditional County: Lincolnshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire

Church of England Parish: Gunby St Peter

Church of England Diocese: Lincoln

Find accommodation in
Firsby

Listing Text

TF 46 NE GUNBY GUNBY PARK

5/23 Western Stable
Block, Gunby Hall
3.2.67

G.V. II*
Stable block. 1736 with alterations of 1917. Red brick in
Flemish bond, ashlar dressings, hipped pantile roof with lead
dressings, weatherboarded timber clock tower with shaped lead
roof. 2 storey, 5 bay front arranged 2:1:2, the centre bay
slightly advanced. Plinth, first floor band and dentillated
eaves course. Central semi-circular arch with moulded ashlar
impost blocks and keystone inscribed 'WM 1736'. Planked double
doors. Flanked by pairs of glazing bar sashes with segmental
brick heads. To first floor a central oeil de boeuf with ashlar
surround, flanked by 2 glazing bar sashes to eaves. On the ridge
the clock tower has a dentillated cornice and a bellcote
supported on 4 panelled wooden columns. Above a weathervane,
wrought iron and gilded. Painted circular clock face. The clock
was designed by the brothers Adam for Hook Place, Hants., in
1778, and brought here in 1917 to commemorate the return of
Stephen Massinqberd from the Great War.


Listing NGR: TF4671566932

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.