History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Nicholas

A Grade II* Listed Building in Partney, Lincolnshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.1937 / 53°11'37"N

Longitude: 0.1097 / 0°6'35"E

OS Eastings: 541042

OS Northings: 368367

OS Grid: TF410683

Mapcode National: GBR KV8.Y92

Mapcode Global: WHJLR.NZGJ

Entry Name: Church of St Nicholas

Listing Date: 3 February 1967

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1063679

English Heritage Legacy ID: 195971

Location: Partney, East Lindsey, Lincolnshire, PE23

County: Lincolnshire

District: East Lindsey

Civil Parish: Partney

Traditional County: Lincolnshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire

Church of England Parish: Partney St Nicholas

Church of England Diocese: Lincoln

Find accommodation in
Spilsby

Listing Text

PARTNEY GRIMSBY ROAD
TF 46 NW (east side)
8/45 Church of
3.2.67 St. Nicholas

G.V. II*

Parish church. C14, C15, chancel rebuilt 1828, nave and aisles
rebuilt and porch built c.1862 by C. E. Giles, tower part rebuilt
1910. Ashlar with dressed greenstone tower, red brick. Slate
roofs with coped gables. Single ridge crosses to the porch, east
nave and east chancel. Single stack to the south chancel. Set
on a plinth, being chamfered to tower and north aisle and moulded
to south aisle and porch, aisles buttressed. Tower, nave,
aisles, south porch, north vestry and chancel. Angle buttressed
C15 tower of 4 stages with bands including moulded band over
plinth and topped with a parapet and single corner gargoyles and
finials. West side with ogee arched moulded doorway with hood
mould and human head label stops. Above is a single C15 arched 4
light window with cusped panel tracery, hood mould and human head
label stops. Over is a single arched and cusped light. The
north and south sides with single similar lights, the south side
with single clock face under and 4 rectangular stair lights. 4
arched C15 bell chamber 3 light openings with cusped panel
tracery, hood moulds and worn label stops. The west wall'of the
north aisle has a single C14 arched 3 light window with
reticulated tracery, hood mould and label stops. The north wall
has 2 heavily restored arched 2 light C14 windows with flowing
tracery, C19 hood moulds and label stops. To the left is a
single restored C14 window with 3 ogee arched and cusped lights
and tracery under a flat arch with hood mould and on the far left
is a single segmental arched restored C14 window with 3 ogee
arched and cusped lights, tracery and hood mould. C15
clerestorey with 4 arched 2 light windows with cusped tracery.
In the apex of the east nave is a single roundel. The C19 vestry
projecting from the east wall of the north aisle has a pointed
arched doorway in the north wall, the east wall has a single
arched 2 light window. The north wall of the C19 chancel is
patched under the eaves with brick. The east chancel of brick
with clasping buttresses topped with single ashlar finials, coped
gable terminating in single small carved human heads and ashlar
band following the line of the gable has a single arched re-used
ashlar 5 light C15 window with single transom with ogee arched
and cusped lights and quatrefoils below and ogee arched and
cusped lights and tracery above. South wall with similar finial
to the west and ashlar band extendinq under the eaves has a
single ashlar and brick blind arched panel. The east wall of the
south aisle with single arched 3 light C14 window with cusped
tracery, hood mould and label stops. The south wall with single
restored segmental arched 3 light C14 window with cusped tracery,
hood mould and label stops. To the left is a single restored 3
light C14 window with reticulated tracery under a flat arch and
with hood mould and label stops. The C19 gabled porch with
paraparet, decorated to the south side, has single angle finials
and a moulded arched entrance with hood mould and human head
label stops. Each side wall has 3 trefoil arched lights. Inner
C14 moulded ogee arched doorway with hood mould, human head label
stops and finial. Over is a carved statuette. To the left is a
single similar C14 window under a flat arch and in the west wall
a single arched 3 light C14 window with cusped tracery, hood
mould and label stops. The clerestory corresponds to the north.
Interior. 4 bay C14 nave arcades with double chamfered arches,
octagonal columns and responds to the south side. The capitals
of the south side decorated with nobbly leaves. The west capital
of the north side with carved heads, the central capital with
carved heads sprouting leaves and the east with fleuron. Both
sides with human head label stops. The south side of the south
arcade with hood mould and human head label stops. Tall C15
triple chamfered tower arch. C14 moulded chancel arch, the inner
order supported on large carved human heads, the outer order
decorated with carved fleuron and human and animal heads. Over
is a single roundel. Below the arch and at the juncture of north
nave and chancel is a further carved human head. The arch from
chancel to vestry is part blocked with a doorway. Low chancel
screen with some C15 fragments. The north wall of the north
aisle with single arched piscina. The north aisle with a screen
reconstructed from fragments of a C15 screen with panel tracery.
Octagonal C15 ashlar font, bowl and pedestal decorated with blind
tracery. C19 ashlar pulpit. North aisle with 4 boards with
biblical quotations. Benefactions board, 1719. Brass memorial
to Jane Rugeley, 1670. Single late C18 and 2 early C19
memorials.


Listing NGR: TF4104268367

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.