History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Andrew

A Grade II* Listed Building in Donington on Bain, Lincolnshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.3293 / 53°19'45"N

Longitude: -0.1461 / 0°8'45"W

OS Eastings: 523564

OS Northings: 382974

OS Grid: TF235829

Mapcode National: GBR WYFY.58

Mapcode Global: WHHJX.QLN2

Entry Name: Church of St Andrew

Listing Date: 9 March 1967

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1063688

English Heritage Legacy ID: 195895

Location: Donington on Bain, East Lindsey, Lincolnshire, LN11

County: Lincolnshire

District: East Lindsey

Civil Parish: Donington on Bain

Traditional County: Lincolnshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire

Church of England Parish: Asterby Group

Church of England Diocese: Lincoln

Find accommodation in
Benniworth

Listing Text

DONINGTON ON BAIN MAIN ROAD
TF 28 SW (north side)

2/11 Church of
9.3.67 St. Andrew

II*

Parish church. Late C12, C14, c.1779, restored 1868. Green
sandstone rubble, limestone ashlar dressings, some stock brick
dressings and some render. Slate roofs with stone coped gables
with eastern cross finial. West tower, nave and chancel. West
tower rebuilt c.1779 and restored in the C19; with plinth and
west doorway restored in C19 with pointed head, continuously
chamfered surround, plank doors and red brick semi-circular
relieving arch above. C19 pointed window above with 2 cusped,
pointed lights with quatrefoil. Moulded string course defines
bell stage with bell openings on 3 sides, each a plain pointed
opening with continuous chamfered surround. Late C12 nave and
chancel. North side of the nave with outline of 2 blocked arcade
bays with 2 C19 windows inserted each with 2 pointed cusped
lights and cusped mouchette above. Chancel with single late C12
lancet and C19 rendered brick buttress beyond. East end of
chancel with pointed late C14 window with 3 pointed lights and
hood mould. South side of chancel with single C12 lancet to
west. South side of nave with large late C14 rectangular window
with 4 cusped, ogee headed lights and hood mould. Single stage
C12 buttress to the left and C12 lancet beyond. Inner tower
doorway of c.1779 with semi-circular head, large fanlight with
stained glass and leather covered doors. Late C12 2 bay north
arcade partially exposed with double chamfered pointed heads,
octagonal central pier with moulded capital, west respond capital
with crude large petals with veins and east respond barely
visible. Late C12 chancel arch with double chamfered pointed
head, a little askew, and hood mould; polygonal responds with
moulded capitals with beaded bands. C19 altar rail, pews, pulpit
and lectern. Flat ceilings. C17 memorial to Thomas Kent, poet.
Late C12 drum font with intersecting pointed arcade inscribed,
with broad cable decorated band below, and roll moulded above.


Listing NGR: TF2356482974

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.