History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of All Saints

A Grade II* Listed Building in Haugham, Lincolnshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.3127 / 53°18'45"N

Longitude: 0.0034 / 0°0'12"E

OS Eastings: 533570

OS Northings: 381400

OS Grid: TF335814

Mapcode National: GBR XZG4.J6

Mapcode Global: WHHK0.0ZXS

Entry Name: Church of All Saints

Listing Date: 9 March 1967

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1063691

English Heritage Legacy ID: 195899

Location: Haugham, East Lindsey, Lincolnshire, LN11

County: Lincolnshire

District: East Lindsey

Civil Parish: Haugham

Traditional County: Lincolnshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire

Church of England Parish: Raithby St Peter

Church of England Diocese: Lincoln

Find accommodation in
Legbourne

Listing Text

HAUGHAM CHURCH LANE
TF 38 SW (west side)

4/15 Church of
All Saints
9.3.67
II*

Parish church, now redundant. 1840, by W. A. Nicholson.
Rendered brick, green sandstone rubble. Slate roofs with stone
coped gables and cross finials. West tower, nave with south
porch, chancel. Plinth runs round entire church. West tower
with 3 stage diagonal buttresses. Pointed west window with 2
pointed cusped lights, panel tracery and hood mould. Moulded
string course above with oculus containing trefoil and moulded
string course above that. Bell openings on all 4 sides, each
with a pointed head with 2 pointed cusped lights, panel tracery,
ogee shaped hood mould with crockets, label stops and finial.
Moulded eaves and battlements above with ornate corner pinnacles
with traceried blind panels, recessed octagonal spire with ornate
flyers and crockets. North side of nave with 3 windows
alternating with 4 two stage buttresses crowned with ornate
pinnacles; the windows with pointed heads, 2 pointed cusped
lights, panel tracery and hood mould. Moulded eaves and
battlements. North side of chancel with narrow pointed window
with inner cusped pointed light with panel tracery and hood
mould. East end with 2 stage angle buttresses crowned with
ornate pinnacles and flanking large pointed window with 3
pointed, cusped lights, panel tracery and hood mould. Moulded
eaves and ornate parapet with corbel head supporting cross
finial. South side of chancel with single pointed cusped light,
panel tracery and hood mould. Nave with 2 pointed windows each
with 2 pointed cusped lights, panel tracery and hood mould.
Gabled porch to west with single ogee headed lights in east and
west walls, pointed doorway with continuous chamfered surround
and hood mould. Moulded eaves, ornate parapet, finial and
pinnacles above. Inner pointed doorway with continuous chamfered
surround and panelled doors. Church interior with tower doorway
with triangular head, broad, chamfered surround with hood mould
and traceried panelled door. Flattened triangular chancel arch
with broad, continuously chamfered surround, hood mould and
ornate label stops. Chancel arch flanked by painted boards
inscribed with The Ten Commandments. All the windows and south
doorway with hood moulds and label stops. Ornate tie beam roof
with richly cusped posts and carved corbels and with royal coat
of arms above chancel arch. C19 pews with poppyhead finials. 2
box pews with traceried panels, one incorporating pulpit and
lectern. C19 choir stalls, altar rail and reredos. C19 stained
glass including copy of "The Light of the World" by Holman Hunt.
Monuments include: one to Elizabeth Pearson, died 1857, white
marble on black field; a similar monument to John Pearson, died
1878; a white scroll of grey field, to Nathaniel Cartwright,
died 1867; a white monument on grey field with urn and
draperies, to Elizabeth Cartwright, died 1826; a white marble
monument on grey field, with coat of arms, to George Chaplin,
died 1857; a white monument with urn and draperies on grey
field, to Sarah Cartwright, died 1847; and a white oval on a
black field, to Lt. Col. Henry Anton, died 1871. Gravestones in
nave include ones to John Waterland, died 1761; Edward Hyde,
died 1740, and Daniel Hide, died 1738. C15 octagonal font with
cusped panels containing shields, and with moulded octagonal
pedestal and base. Smaller C15 font or stoup, on tall octagonal
base and pedestal with traceried panels and bowl with rectangular
quatrefoils.


Listing NGR: TF3357081400

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.