History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Nicholas

A Grade II Listed Building in Stenigot, Lincolnshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.3101 / 53°18'36"N

Longitude: -0.1219 / 0°7'18"W

OS Eastings: 525232

OS Northings: 380883

OS Grid: TF252808

Mapcode National: GBR WZL5.F4

Mapcode Global: WHHK4.3277

Entry Name: Church of St Nicholas

Listing Date: 9 March 1967

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1063700

English Heritage Legacy ID: 195916

Location: Stenigot, East Lindsey, Lincolnshire, LN11

County: Lincolnshire

District: East Lindsey

Civil Parish: Stenigot

Traditional County: Lincolnshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire

Church of England Parish: Asterby Group

Church of England Diocese: Lincoln

Find accommodation in
Goulsby

Listing Text

STENIGOT DONINGTON LANE
TF 28 SE (north side)

3/32 Church of
9.3.67 St. Nicholas

II

Parish church. 1892. Red brick with limestone ashlar dressings.
Slate roof with stone coped gables with cross finial, dentillated
eaves and gabled west bellcote with pointed opening containing
bell and cross finial. West porch, nave and chancel in one with
north vestry. Plinth runs round entire church. Gabled west
porch with pointed doorway with inner pointed doorway with
continuously chamfered surround and plank door. North side with
2 pairs of lancets with gabled vestry beyond with rectangular
north window with 2 cusped ogee headed lights and pointed brick
relieving arch above. East end of chancel with pointed window
with 3 pointed lights and intersecting tracery. South side with
2 pairs of lancets. Interior with plain vestry doorway with
panelled door. C15 octagonal font with quatrefoils containing
shields and tall octagonal pedestal. C19 pews, lecterns, altar
rails and reredos. Monument to Sir John Guevara, died 1607, of
white and grey and orange streaked alabaster and black marble
inscription plaque, with a kneeling figure in ruff, pantaloons
and armour; with a prieu dieu; with flanking composite marble
columns, ornate apron and entablature with large coat of arms.
Monument to Francis Velles de Guevara, died 1592; of white and
orange streaked alabaster and black marble inscription slab;
with figure kneeling before prieu dieu wearing a ruff, pantaloons
and cloak; segmental pediment above supported on decorated
pilasters and with large coat of arms above.


Listing NGR: TF2523280883

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.