History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Cemetery Chapel

A Grade II Listed Building in Horncastle, Lincolnshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.1995 / 53°11'58"N

Longitude: -0.1095 / 0°6'34"W

OS Eastings: 526377

OS Northings: 368605

OS Grid: TF263686

Mapcode National: GBR JSN.H3G

Mapcode Global: WHHKJ.9V21

Entry Name: Cemetery Chapel

Listing Date: 25 March 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1063768

English Heritage Legacy ID: 195671

Location: Horncastle, East Lindsey, Lincolnshire, LN9

County: Lincolnshire

District: East Lindsey

Civil Parish: Horncastle

Built-Up Area: Horncastle

Traditional County: Lincolnshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire

Church of England Parish: Horncastle Group

Church of England Diocese: Lincoln

Find accommodation in
Horncastle

Listing Text

TF 36 NW HORNCASTLE BOSTON ROAD
(east side)

4/14 Cemetery Chapel

II

Cemetery chapel. 1888. Coursed blue lias rubble with limestone
ashlar dressings. Slate roofs with decorative red ridge tiles,
stone coped gables and cross finials. Nave with north-west
spirelet, south vestry-store room, small chancel. Ashlar dressed
plinth runs round entire chapel. Moulded string course rises to
run below west window with pointed head, 3 cusped lights,
Decorated tracery, hood mould and label stops. Steep gable rises
above with cusped oculus. North west diagonal buttress rises up
to octagonal ashlar turret with 8 pointed, cusped, narrow
openings, spirelet and finial. 3 bay north side with central
steeply gabled bay projecting slightly. Large central pointed
doorway with ashlar quoins, hood mould with label stops, double
plank doors and shield above inscribed: "1888". Doorway flanked
by single, pointed, cusped windows. East end with single pointed
window with trefoiled head with trefoiled mouchette above. South
side of chancel with single cusped lancet. East front of south
vestry with large triangular headed doorway, with chamfered
surround and triple plank doors. South side with curved
triangular window with cusping. West end of vestry with large
triangular headed doorway with chamfered surround, hood mould,
foliate label stops and triple plank door. Plate trefoil in
gable above. South side of nave with single cusped lancet.


Listing NGR: TF2637768605

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.