This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.4096 / 53°24'34"N
Longitude: -2.9788 / 2°58'43"W
OS Eastings: 335029
OS Northings: 390756
OS Grid: SJ350907
Mapcode National: GBR 75M.MR
Mapcode Global: WH877.6KRH
Entry Name: Wellington Column
Listing Date: 28 June 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1063784
English Heritage Legacy ID: 359744
Location: Liverpool, L3
Electoral Ward/Division: Central
Built-Up Area: Liverpool
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Merseyside
Church of England Parish: Liverpool Our Lady and St Nicholas
Church of England Diocese: Liverpool
This list entry was subject to a Minor Enhancement on 05/06/2018
SJ 3590 NW
WILLIAM BROWN STREET L1
Monument, 1861-1863, by Andrew Lawson of Edinburgh who won a design competition in 1856 (construction of the monument was delayed whilst an appropriate site was found). Sandstone fluted Doric column with a pedestal base set upon granite steps and surmounted by a bronze statue of the Duke of Wellington by George Anderson Lawson, brother of Andrew Lawson. The monument is 132ft (40 metres) high overall. The pedestal incorporates bronze plaques displaying the names of Wellington’s victories and on the south side is a relief depicting the charge at the Battle of Waterloo, which was installed in 1865 and is also by George Anderson Lawson.
HISTORICAL NOTE: The Wellington Column was the regular site for outdoor meetings by the Liverpool branch of the Women’s Social and Political Union (WSPU), the militant suffrage organisation founded in Manchester by Emmeline Pankhurst and other women from the Independent Labour Party (ILP) in 1903. The Union followed the ILP tradition of outdoor propagandising, and used recognisable venues in crowded thoroughfares to try to get its message across. The Wellington Column was used from 1907 until 1914 when the WSPU’s campaign was suspended at the outbreak of the First World War. Suffragette speakers at the column included Patricia Woodlock, Liverpool’s most prolific suffragette prisoner, and Alice Morrissey, a founding member of the WSPU, and the wife of Liverpool’s first elected socialist.
This list entry was amended in 2018 as part of the centenary commemorations of the 1918 Representation of the People Act.
Listing NGR: SJ3502990756
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings