History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

55 and 57, Bromwich Road

A Grade II Listed Building in Worcester, Worcestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.


Latitude: 52.1851 / 52°11'6"N

Longitude: -2.2311 / 2°13'52"W

OS Eastings: 384295

OS Northings: 254119

OS Grid: SO842541

Mapcode National: GBR 1G4.SX7

Mapcode Global: VH92T.8BVR

Entry Name: 55 and 57, Bromwich Road

Listing Date: 5 April 1971

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1063790

English Heritage Legacy ID: 488623

Location: Worcester, Worcestershire, WR2

County: Worcestershire

District: Worcester

Town: Worcester

Electoral Ward/Division: Bedwardine

Built-Up Area: Worcester

Traditional County: Worcestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Worcestershire

Church of England Parish: St John in Bedwardine

Church of England Diocese: Worcester

Find accommodation in

Listing Text


620-1/19/140 Nos.55 AND 57


House, now 2 houses. 1810 with later additions and alterations
including division into two houses c1886-1926.
MATERIALS: Stucco over brick with hipped slate roof, rear and
right stuccoed stacks with cornices and pots.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys plus attic, 5 first floor windows, range to
rear at right. Stucco details include first floor sill band
surmounted by wide Doric pilasters to ends and between windows
and crowning entablature. Ground floor has wide, tall round
arched recesses with tooled surrounds to windows. 6/6 sashes
throughout in plain reveals, and with sills to ground floor.
Central tetrastyle Doric porch with entablature, entrance 6-panel
part-glazed door with fanlight with circle and teardrop motif and
tooled architrave. Attic rooflight. Left return has conservatory
set back with lattice and gothic traceried glazing bars, 6/6 and
8/8 sashes where original. Right return has plain and 6/6 sashes,
all with blind boxes. Rear has staircase window 6/6 sash with
radial glazing to head.
INTERIOR: retains original joinery and plasterwork including
boxed beams. 6-panel doors with fluted architraves, some with
foliate motif to corners, and panelled reveals. Openwell
staircase with stick balusters and carved tread ends. Greek key
motif to dado rail. Embellished cornices have honeysuckle motif
and modillions; coving to front room has acanthus and acorns with
honeysuckle and leaf ceiling frieze. Regency fireplaces.
HISTORICAL NOTE: was the Bishop of Worcester's guest house and
later a school. Shown as a single house on 1886 O.S. Map,
subdivided on 1926 O.S. Map. (Ordnance Survey Map: 1886-;
Ordnance Survey Map: 1926-).

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.