This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.1884 / 52°11'18"N
Longitude: -2.2349 / 2°14'5"W
OS Eastings: 384034
OS Northings: 254485
OS Grid: SO840544
Mapcode National: GBR 1G3.RS3
Mapcode Global: VH92T.68T7
Entry Name: 1, Bromyard Road
Listing Date: 29 June 1982
Last Amended: 27 June 2001
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1063792
English Heritage Legacy ID: 488625
Location: Worcester, Worcestershire, WR2
Electoral Ward/Division: St John
Built-Up Area: Worcester
Traditional County: Worcestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Worcestershire
Church of England Parish: St John in Bedwardine
Church of England Diocese: Worcester
SO8454SW BROMYARD ROAD
620-1/19/142 (South side)
(Formerly Listed as:
St John's Vicarage)
Large house. Was vicarage now mixed use, clinic, parish office,
and residential. 3 main phases of development, early C17, C18/C19
and C19/C20. C17 core of the building, adjoining the church (qv)
is part timber-frame with brick and wattle-and-daub infill to
small square panels, clasped purlins; part brick; some stone
window surrounds; all under a plain clay tile roof; SE gable is
parapeted. Tall brick gable-end stack with corbelled top and
pots. PLAN: Possibly originally 'H', now approx. 'T' plan; 4
truss positions identified in north-wing, suggesting 3 bay
building including one narrow (staircase?) bay. Two-storeys. 2
first-floor windows to N (rear) elevation; none of the early
elevations remain either visible or unaltered so pattern of
original fenestration unclear; now mainly timber side-hung
casements plus mullion and transom windows to SE corner.
Principal elevation probably would have been to SE, entrance now
from NW via open porch and 6-panel door.
INTERIOR: Retains late C17/early C18 staircase with slender
turned balusters, substantial moulded handrail, and flat moulded
caps to newel posts. Exposed jowl posts on upper floor; bolection
moulded fireplace surround. Black and white tiling to part of
ground-floor. Double purlin roof with trenched purlins.
HISTORICAL NOTE: from map evidence, phase of extension to church
(qv) and vicarage post 1886, pre 1928. (N A D Molyneux: The
Vicarage, St. John's, Worcester SO 84055449: 1979-).
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings