This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.6345 / 52°38'4"N
Longitude: -1.1532 / 1°9'11"W
OS Eastings: 457402
OS Northings: 304423
OS Grid: SK574044
Mapcode National: GBR FBK.DG
Mapcode Global: WHDJJ.812M
Entry Name: Church of St Paul
Listing Date: 21 March 2003
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1063905
English Heritage Legacy ID: 488539
Location: Leicester, LE3
County: City of Leicester
Unitary Authority Ward: Fosse
Traditional County: Leicestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire
Church of England Parish: Leicester St Paul
Church of England Diocese: Leicester
718/0/10179 KIRBY ROAD
21-MAR-02 Church of St Paul
Church. 1870-1. By FW Ordish and JC Traylen. Mountsorrel granite rubble with limestone dressings. Slate roofs with stone-coped gables with kneelers. Chancel, south-east tower, north-east vestry, nave and aisles and north and south porches. Early French Gothic style with buttresses. East end apse has five triple lancets each surmounted by a rose window under separate gables, with tall buttresses between. North-east vestry has 3-light window and a 2-light window with plate tracery to east. To south of the chancel is the 2-stage tower with hipped roof. Door with 2-light window with plate tracery to south and staircase projection to east. Aisles have 3-light windows and the nave clerestory above has 2-light windows with plate tracery. Triple lancet with rose window above to west end. Gabled porches to north and south at west end of aisles.
INTERIOR. The high interior has chancel with stained glass to the easternmost window and elaborate reredos below of carved stone, marble and mosaic. Set of choir stalls and panelling to walls and low screen with iron gates. Boarded chancel roof on arched braces supported on wall posts rising from stone corbels. Stone and marble pulpit and wooden altar with painted panels at head of nave. Nave arcades of striped stone and brick on circular and octagonal piers with carved capitals. Nave roof, supported on wall posts rising from carved stone corbels, is of cusped arched braces pierced above which support 2 tiers of purlins and rafters which cross at the gable apex. Sets of pews in nave and aisles. Aisle windows have C19 and C20 stained glass, some by Burlison and Grylls and Morris and Co. In north aisle is an austere square font on base with colonnettes.
This fine lofty church has a careful use of materials outside and an impressive interior with nearly all of the fittings surviving.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings