This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.2312 / 53°13'52"N
Longitude: -0.4831 / 0°28'59"W
OS Eastings: 501354
OS Northings: 371532
OS Grid: TF013715
Mapcode National: GBR FMS.JP3
Mapcode Global: WHGJ6.K15R
Entry Name: Church of All Saints
Listing Date: 30 November 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1064023
English Heritage Legacy ID: 197205
Location: Greetwell, West Lindsey, Lincolnshire, LN3
District: West Lindsey
Civil Parish: Greetwell
Traditional County: Lincolnshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire
Church of England Parish: Cherry Willingham St Peter and St Paul
Church of England Diocese: Lincoln
GREETWELL CHURCH LANE
TF 07 SW
3/38 Church of
Parish church. C11, early C13, late C14, heavily restored in
C19. Coursed limestone rubble. Plain tiled roofs with
decorative red ridge tiles. West tower, nave with south porch,
apsidal chancel. Early C13 west tower heavily restored in C19.
West side with re-set round C11 window with looped decoration.
Single slit light above with another slit light above that. 2
string courses above. Bell openings on all 4 sides, each with
pair of pointed lights with chamfered surrounds. Moulded eaves
above and pyramidal roof. Steeper pitch of earlier nave roof
visible on east side. North side of nave late C14 with window to
west with triangular head, 2 round headed cusped lights and
vertical tracery. Blocked pointed doorway to east with
fragmentary hood mould. C14 window beyond with segmental head, 2
cusped round headed lights and vertical tracery. Apse with
string course and 3 plain round headed windows. South side of
nave with 2 windows with segmental heads, 2 cusped round headed
lights and vertical tracery. Remains of large, blocked Cll
keyhole window in between. South porch with single small
rectangular lights in east and west sides. Round headed south
archway with chamfered inner order, moulded polygonal capitals
and abaci. Porch interior flanked by stone benches. Pointed C14
doorway with moulded jambs and head in one, inner order filleted,
hood mould and plank door. Interior tower arch Cll, broadened at
a later date, with round chamfered head, chamfered imposts and
rectangular quoined jambs. Tall Cll chancel arch with round
head, chamfered imposts and rectangular quoined jambs. North
side of apse early C13 tombstone re-set, inscribed: "Hic Jacet
Adanz de London Quandam Rectoristius ecclesiac cujus aizinzae
propiehir Deus". 2 C18 ashlar monuments in apse to Richard Lely,
died 1734 and Anna Lely, died 1733. Marble gravestone in apse
floor to Robert Dalyson, died c.1620. South wall of nave a
square opening containing piscina and partially blocked
rectangular opening to west. C13 font heavily restored in C19,
with octagonal plinth surrounded by 8 shafts, their stiff leaf
capitals forming broad band round base of plain rectangular bowl.
Black and white marble monument to Thomas Kitchen, died 1809.
Various C19 monuments. C19 pulpit and ornately carved chair.
Listing NGR: TF0135471532
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings