History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Peter and St Paul

A Grade II* Listed Building in Reepham, Lincolnshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.2518 / 53°15'6"N

Longitude: -0.4449 / 0°26'41"W

OS Eastings: 503849

OS Northings: 373882

OS Grid: TF038738

Mapcode National: GBR TZBV.G1

Mapcode Global: WHGJ1.4JDG

Entry Name: Church of St Peter and St Paul

Listing Date: 30 November 1966

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1064025

English Heritage Legacy ID: 197210

Location: Reepham, West Lindsey, Lincolnshire, LN3

County: Lincolnshire

District: West Lindsey

Civil Parish: Reepham

Built-Up Area: Reepham

Traditional County: Lincolnshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire

Church of England Parish: Reepham St Peter and St Paul

Church of England Diocese: Lincoln

Find accommodation in
Sudbrooke

Listing Text

REEPHAM CHURCH LANE
TF 07 SW
(north-west side)
3/43 Church of
St. Peter and
30.11.66
St. Paul
II*

Parish church. Early C13, early C14, mostly rebuilt 1862 by
Michael Drury. Coursed limestone rubble, limestone ashlar.
Slate roofs with stone coped gables with cross finials. West
tower, nave with north aisle and south porch, rectangular
chancel. C19 west tower with plinth, western lancet with
chamfered surround and string course defining bell stage. Bell
openings on all 4 sides, each with 2 pointed lights, cusped
oculus above, hood mould and label stops. Clock in south bell
opening. Moulded eaves above with re-used corner gargoyles on
all but south-west corner. Battlements above with embattled
chimney in south-east corner. Pyramidal roof. C19 north aisle
with high plinth and pointed west window with 3 cusped lights,
tracery and hood mould. North side with 3 pointed windows, each
with 2 pointed, cusped lights and quatrefoil above. East end of
aisle with pointed windows with 3 cusped lights, tracery and hood
mould. North side of chancel with early C13 cusped lancet with
hood mould and head label stops. East end of chancel with
pointed C19 window with 3 cusped lights, tracery, hood mould and
head label stops. South side of chancel with pointed C19 window
to east with 2 ogee headed, cusped lights, quatrefoil, hood mould
and head label stops. C19 lancet to west with hood mould. South
side of nave with outline of 3 early C13 pointed arcade bays.
Foliated capital on corbel head between first and second bays
from east, with octagonal abacus. 2 pointed C19 windows set
between bays each with 3 cusped lights. C19 gabled south porch
re-using C14 fragments. Paired, pointed cusped openings on east
nd west sides. Pointed south door with moulded surround, hood
mould and floral label stops. Interior of porch with C19 pointed
doorway with moulded surround, filleted hood mould, large foliate
label stops and plank door. C19 interior tower arch with
pointed, double chamfered head, inner order supported on large
corbels with lilies-and maple leaves, and rectangular jambs.
Early C13 3 bay south arcade embedded in wall with partially
visible double chamfered pointed heads with rolled hood mould on
2 bays to west. Cluster of 3 shafts to west with 3 waterleaf
capitals and richly moulded abacus. Next pier to east with small
plain capital missing its detached shaft, moulded abacus above.
Part of abacus visible of easternmost capital. Early C14 north
arcade of 3 bays with pointed, double chamfered heads, hood
moulds and C19 foliate stops on north and south sides. 2 piers
with cluster of 4 large, filleted rolls with 4 smaller rolls
between and plain capitals. Western octagonal corbel, eastern
respond of clustered, filleted rolls. Early C14 pointed double
chamfered chancel arch with moulded abaci, C19 rectangular jambs,
hood mould and label stops. Roofs of 1862. C19 pews, altar
rail, pulpit and lecturn. C20 octagonal font with starred panels
and foliate bands. Ashlar monument on south wall of chancel to
Ann Benet, died 1738, with scrolls and coat of arms.


Listing NGR: TF0384973882

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.