History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St John the Baptist

A Grade II Listed Building in Lissington, Lincolnshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.3373 / 53°20'14"N

Longitude: -0.3357 / 0°20'8"W

OS Eastings: 510915

OS Northings: 383553

OS Grid: TF109835

Mapcode National: GBR VY3V.3D

Mapcode Global: WHGHP.TCBX

Entry Name: Church of St John the Baptist

Listing Date: 1 November 1966

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1064039

English Heritage Legacy ID: 197144

Location: Lissington, West Lindsey, Lincolnshire, LN3

County: Lincolnshire

District: West Lindsey

Civil Parish: Lissington

Traditional County: Lincolnshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire

Church of England Parish: Lissington St John the Baptist

Church of England Diocese: Lincoln

Find accommodation in
Lissington

Listing Text

TF 18 SW LISSINGTON MAIN STREET

5/19 Church of
St.John the
1.11.66 Baptist

II

Parish church. c.1796, restoration of 1895 and addition of 1925.
Squared ironstone and limestone rubble with brick dressings, some
render, plain tiled roofs. Nave with western bellcote and south
porch, chancel, vestry. At the west end is a slight projection
supporting a bellcote with semi-circular arched brick head. In
the west wall is a single lancet window. A dentillated brick
eaves course continues round the building. North wall of nave
has 2 three light leaded windows with semi-circular brick arched
heads having ashlar key and impost blocks. The rendered vestry
with hipped and gabled roofs has a Diocletian window in the north
wall. There is a C20 east door and window. The chancel east
window is of 2 lights with pointed timber tracery and arched
brick head. Between 2 semi-circular headed windows in the
chancel south wall is a blocked doorway with brick segmental
head. The nave south wall matches the north. Gabled south
porch of 1925 has pointed outer doorway surmounted by wooden
cross, side benches and diagonally planked double inner doors
with chamfered head. Interior. Nave walls have raised and
fielded dado panelling. The lower part of the open chancel
screen is composed of turned balusters with moulded handrail,
probably a survival of early C18. All fittings are C19 including
painted wooden commandment boards on nave walls and octagonal
moulded font.


Listing NGR: TF1091583553

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.