History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St John Baptist

A Grade II Listed Building in Stainton By Langworth, Lincolnshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.2844 / 53°17'3"N

Longitude: -0.4086 / 0°24'30"W

OS Eastings: 506192

OS Northings: 377560

OS Grid: TF061775

Mapcode National: GBR TZLG.BC

Mapcode Global: WHGHV.PPMZ

Entry Name: Church of St John Baptist

Listing Date: 30 November 1966

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1064046

English Heritage Legacy ID: 197161

Location: Stainton By Langworth, West Lindsey, Lincolnshire, LN3

County: Lincolnshire

District: West Lindsey

Civil Parish: Stainton by Langworth

Traditional County: Lincolnshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire

Church of England Parish: Stainton-by-Langworth St John the Baptist

Church of England Diocese: Lincoln

Find accommodation in
Langworth

Listing Text

TF 07 NE STAINTON BY LANGWORTH CHURCH LANE

6/37 Church of
30.11.66 St.John the
Baptist

II

Parish church. 1795 but incorporating C14 materails, with
restoration of 1885. Squared coursed limestone rubble with
liemstone ashlar and sandstone ashlar dressings, and slate roofs
with raised stone coped gables and kneelers, lead dressings.
Western tower, nave and chancel. Tower of 2 storeys having
plinth, first floor band and corbelled out eaves, pyramidal roof.
Western double doors with sandstone architrave and cornice,
wrought iron boot scrapers to either side. Above a plain
rectangular labelled tablet with above a louvred circular light
to bell chamber. Side walls of nave have pairs of large semi-
circular headed windows, divided into 12 panes by wooden glazing
bars. East window of chancel is similar but contains an 1885
leaded and stained glass window. Interior: a tower vestibule
from which nave is entered via double panelled doors retaining
original fastening. The double chamfered chancel arch
incorporates reused C14 engaged octagonal responds, the C14
floriate capitals of which were recut in 1795. To either side of
the arch are painted commandment panels. In the chancel south
wall a probably repositioned cusped piscina, with above and to
the right the elaborately cusped and pierced arches of a C14
sedilia, also repositioned, however the moulded reveals of the
opening are probably in situ. The nave and chancel both have
plaster cornices. The altar has fluted legs and an early C20
painted frontal. At the west end is a C18 panel fronted gallery
supported on square Doric columns. The matching pews and pulpit
were altered in the C19 when the doors were removed. The large
C14 octagonal font bowl has ball flowers to the underside, the
stem is missing and it now rests on its base. In the sanctuary
is a C17 chair with carved back and arms. In the north wall is
an alabaster memorial in the classical taste dated 1619 to
members of the Sandon family of Reasby Hall, depicting 3 kneeling
figures in arcades with above an achievement of arms and below a
rectangular inscribed panel. All vertical members bear guilloche
decoration and beneath is a decorative panel bearing memento
mori, including a bone, scythe and spade.


Listing NGR: TF0619277560

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.