History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mary

A Grade II* Listed Building in Knaith, Lincolnshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.352 / 53°21'7"N

Longitude: -0.7577 / 0°45'27"W

OS Eastings: 482791

OS Northings: 384617

OS Grid: SK827846

Mapcode National: GBR RY4P.R4

Mapcode Global: WHFGC.B0GM

Entry Name: Church of St Mary

Listing Date: 16 December 1964

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1064050

English Heritage Legacy ID: 197066

Location: Knaith, West Lindsey, Lincolnshire, DN21

County: Lincolnshire

District: West Lindsey

Civil Parish: Knaith

Traditional County: Lincolnshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire

Church of England Parish: Knaith St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Lincoln

Find accommodation in
Gainsborough

Listing Text

SK 88 SW KNAITH CHURCH LANE
(west side)

3/19 Church of
16.12.64 St. Mary

G.V. II*

Parish church. C11, early C14, early C18. Coursed limestone
rubble, limestone herringbone, limestone ashlar. Plain tiled
double ridge roofs with stone coped gables and small wooden
bellcote with slatted sides and lead covered gable. Square plan.
Moulded plinthand upper string course run across third of the
wall to left with ashlar quoins and large blocked rectangular
window above. Masonry to right includes several large areas of
herringbone. North side with moulded plinth and upper String
course. To west, a large, pointed blocked C14 doorway with
chamfered surround all in one, hood mould and head label stops.
Large rectangular window to left with 3 lights and chamfered
mullions. 2 gables above with flat section between. East side
with quoined north and south corners and masonry breaks and more
quoins several yards from each corner. South side with moulded
plinth and upper string course. Large early C14 windows with
pointed heads, 3 pointed lights with reticulated tracery, hood
mould and head label stops. Doorway to left with pointed head
and chamfered surround, hood mould, head label stops and plank
door. South corbel head supports south gable. Interior divided
by massive early C18 3 bay arcade running north tosouth with
plain round heads, keystones and imposts. Cl8 panelled ceiling
cuts off top of south windows. Fine Cl7 polygonal pulpit with
sounding board with ornate round beaded panels with fluted
pilasters, cable decoration, flowerheads and petalled bands. Urn
finial surmounts sounding board. Lectern attached to left at
lower level, partly restored. C17 choir stalls with ornate
panels with flowerheads, bayleaf bands and acorn finials. Rustic
C18 pews with poppyheads. Early C14 octagonal font with
reticulated traceried panels and large devil and animal heads.
Black and white marble monument on south wall with fluted
pilasters, pinnacles, cusped pointed head and urn, of Henry
Dalton, died 1821. Several C15 incised tomb stones set into
floor. C19 baldachino over altar. Originally convent church of
Cistercian nunnery of Heynings. Chancel destroyed at
dissolution, church reformed in 1630.


Listing NGR: SK8279184617

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.