History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Parish Church of St Mary

A Grade II* Listed Building in Riseholme, Lincolnshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.2689 / 53°16'7"N

Longitude: -0.5266 / 0°31'35"W

OS Eastings: 498364

OS Northings: 375665

OS Grid: SK983756

Mapcode National: GBR SZRM.SX

Mapcode Global: WHGHZ.W3FB

Entry Name: Parish Church of St Mary

Listing Date: 30 November 1966

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1064120

English Heritage Legacy ID: 196930

Location: Riseholme, West Lindsey, Lincolnshire, LN2

County: Lincolnshire

District: West Lindsey

Civil Parish: Riseholme

Traditional County: Lincolnshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire

Church of England Parish: Riseholme St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Lincoln

Find accommodation in
Burton

Listing Text

SK 97 NE RISEHOLME RISEHOLME LANE

4/59 Parish Church of
30.11.66 St. Mary

G.V. II*

Parish church. 1850. By S.S. Teulon. Coursed limestone rubble
with ashlar dressings, decorative plain tiled roof with raised
stone coped gables. Nave with western bellcote, south porch,
vestry and chancel. The fenestration is in a Victorian
curvilinear decorated style. The west end has a slightly
projecting bay, marked by stepped buttresses, which rises to form
a gabled bellcote. The west window is of 4 lights and above is a
plain opening with cusped head. The north nave wall has stepped
gabled buttresses, at the west end is a single light window and
to the east are 3 windows of 2 lights. The projecting vestry at
the east end has angle buttresses and an off centre pointed and
moulded headed door with to west a cusped headed light and above
a bulbous triangular window containing mouchettes. To the
chancel north wall is a 2 light window and at the east end is a
large 5 light window. Beneath is a foundation stone laid by John
Kaye, Bishop of Lincoln, of 1850. Chancel south wall has one 2
light and a 3 light window. The nave south wall matches that to
the north but has a projecting gabled porch with a pointed
moulded outer arch with drip moulded label stops and cusping to
the underside of the head. There are single bulbous triangular
lights to the side walls and the inner arch is also pointed and
moulded, without capitals. The planked doors have original
foliate decorative ironwork. Interior. At the west end the
window has a larger rear arch with nook shafts. The chancel arch
is in a C13 style with filleted responds, annular capitals and
moulded pointed head. To left is a trefoil headed light to
vestry. The nave has a fine hammer beam roof with moulded
principals and corbels having ball flower ornament. To vestry,
north side of chancel, is a moulded archway. The east window has
rear arch with nook shafts. The chancel has arch braced roof
with moulded principals and corbels. All fittings, including the
handsome octagonal font and the stained glass in the chancel are
c.1850. In the chancel is a fine encaustic tiled floor with
tiled inscriptions to the risers of the chancel and sanctuary
step. This church was founded by Bishop John Kaye D.D. of
Lincoln.


Listing NGR: SK9836475665

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.