History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Edward the Confessor

A Grade II* Listed Building in Sudbrooke, Lincolnshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.2718 / 53°16'18"N

Longitude: -0.4554 / 0°27'19"W

OS Eastings: 503104

OS Northings: 376090

OS Grid: TF031760

Mapcode National: GBR TZ8L.6W

Mapcode Global: WHGJ0.Z1B3

Entry Name: Church of St Edward the Confessor

Listing Date: 30 November 1966

Last Amended: 21 June 1985

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1064127

English Heritage Legacy ID: 196946

Location: Sudbrooke, West Lindsey, Lincolnshire, LN2

County: Lincolnshire

District: West Lindsey

Civil Parish: Sudbrooke

Built-Up Area: Sudbrooke

Traditional County: Lincolnshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire

Church of England Parish: Sudbrooke St Edward

Church of England Diocese: Lincoln

Find accommodation in
Sudbrooke

Listing Text

TF 07 NW SUDBROOKE CHURCH LANE

5/75 Church of
St. Edward the
30.11.66 Confessor (formerly listed
as Church of St Edward)
G.V. II*

Parish church. 1860 by John Dobson of Newcastle. Squared
limestone rubble with ashlar dressings and plain tiled roofs,
having raised stone coped gables. Nave with western bellcote,
chancel with apsidal sanctuary, south porch and north vestry.
The whole church is built in the Norman Revival Style with
plinth, string course and corbel table. The west end has 2
corner buttresses and a central stepped one which is flanked by
single windows, above are single flanking circular windows.
Above the buttress is a semi-circular headed niche. The bellcote
to gable has a single semi-circular headed bell chamber with nook
shafts. The north nave wall has 3 windows and the chancel has 2,
all resting on sill bands. The apse has wall shafts, cable
moulded sill band and figured corbel table. The 3 windows have
carved nook shafts and heads. The chancel has 2 windows with
nook shafts having scalloped capitals. The nave has 2 windows.
All nave windows are semi-circular headed with hood moulds and
figured label stops. The south porch doorway has 2 orders, one
of beak heads and dogtooth hood mould. The pairs of nook shafts
have cushioned and leafed capitals, alternating. The planked
door has decorative ironwork hinges. Interior. At the west end
a central. buttress rises full height and has a semi-circular
headed niche at its base for bell tolling. The south door has a
roll moulded rear arch to the vanished inner door. The windows
have ashlar rear arches. The nave roof is crown post type,
supported on stone corbels. The chancel arch is of 3 orders
with half engaged shafts, the scalloped capitals contain the
symbols of the evangelist on the west side. Above is a half
roll, castellation, a further roll and a dogtoothed hood mould.
The imposts of the arch run back to either side to form string
courses. The sanctuary arch also of 3 orders though with single
half engaged shafts with conceptual foliage capitals has above a
cable moulding, a chevron, a roll and pelleted roundels. In the
sanctuary a hemispherical vault supported on 5 hobnail roll
moulded ribs which meet a human head vaulting boss, they spring
from half round wall shafts with foliate capitals. Stained glass
to sanctuary and chancel. Font and pulpit are also in Norman
Revival style, the latter with blank intersecting arcading. In
the chancel an early C13 capital to drum pier with stiff leaf
foliage. The brass lectern is dated 1891. At the west end are 2
limestone slabs, one to Jayne Beresford d.1678 and Arabella
Beresford d.1720, and a carved coat of arms. Over the south door
a brass plaque recording the building of the church in 1860.


Listing NGR: TF0310476090

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.