History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Peter

A Grade I Listed Building in Scotter, Lincolnshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.4966 / 53°29'47"N

Longitude: -0.6636 / 0°39'48"W

OS Eastings: 488754

OS Northings: 400823

OS Grid: SE887008

Mapcode National: GBR RXT0.48

Mapcode Global: WHGGR.SC6R

Entry Name: Church of St Peter

Listing Date: 16 December 1964

Grade: I

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1064133

English Heritage Legacy ID: 196857

Location: Scotter, West Lindsey, Lincolnshire, DN21

County: Lincolnshire

District: West Lindsey

Civil Parish: Scotter

Built-Up Area: Scotter

Traditional County: Lincolnshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire

Church of England Parish: Scotter St Peter

Church of England Diocese: Lincoln

Find accommodation in
Scotter

Listing Text

SE 80 SE SCOTTER CHURCH LANE

2/47 Church of
St. Peter
16.12.64
I

Parish church. C12, C13, C15, C16, 1820, 1831, C20; coursed
limestone rubble and plaster patches, lead roofs. Western tower,
nave, north aisle, vestry, chancel, south porch. 3 stage tower
with moulded plinth and string courses and added ashlar angled
buttresses, battlemented parapet with 2 chute heads on north
side. 2 centred arched C16 west door with double concave moulded
reveals and hood mould. Door has original decorative stile and
hinges, at the top of the door are floral patterns. To first
floor a 3 light C16 west window having panel tracery and
quatrefoils, double concave moulded reveals, hood mould and added
label stops. Belfry stage has paired lights in each direction
with cusped ogee heads, mouchettes, single chamfered reveals and
hood moulds. Between first and second stages on the west and
north sides are black enamelled clock faces. West and east walls
of north aisle have restored C16 2 centred 3 light windows. C16
north aisle partly plastered of 5 structural bays defined by
stepped buttresses, 4 centred arched door near west end with
moulded reveals, hood mould and label stops. Further east are
four 3 light windows with 4 centred arched heads with hood moulds
and label stops. Nave clerestorey has 6 paired lights with
trefoil heads in possibly earlier round headed openings; later
plain parapet. Chancel north wall has C19 tall 2 light window
which cuts an earlier blocked window to the east. East wall
rebuilt 1820 with 2 light Y tracery window and ashlar quoins.
South wall has late C13 2 light pointed window with quatrefoil
single chamfer reveal and hood mould. Also a priest's door with
triangular head, heavily restored, with hood mould and label
stops. Quoin is dated 1831. Blocked window and door at west end
of chancel. South wall of nave of several phases, the 2 C12
pilasters are apparently added. At east end is a single late C13
3 light Y tracery window with hood mould. Further west at a high
level are five 3 light C16 windows with 4 centred arches and
concave reveals. The easternmost of these windows cuts an
earlier blocked window beneath. Immediately east of the porch is
a second blocked opening with a 4 centred arched head,visible on
the inside. The south porch is ashlar fronted and dated 1820,
with iron gates ramped upwards towards the centre. Late C12
south doorway with flat headed doorway and weathered tympanum,
single square order, a roll, a lesser roll and a chamfered,
originally decorated, hood mould. Debased Corinthian nook shafts
with moulded and chamfered imposts. Interior: C13 double
chamfered tower arch, dying to reveals. 5 bay early C13 north
nave arcade with impressive quatrefoil piers having annular and
stiff leaf capitals and double chamfered arches with chamfered
hood moulds and C19 label stops. 2 of the piers have statue
brackets on their west sides, and 2 further statue brackets are
in the aisle. The easternmost pair of arches are separated by
a section of blank wall and the easternmost arch is lower than
the rest, probably because it opened into a transept. Similar
evidence is visible on the south side at the same point. At the
east end of the nave is an angled doorway into the vestry,
formerly a chapel, with above a blocked access to the rood loft.
The chancel arch is C13, double chamfered, with corbels, probably
recut in the C19. In south wall of the chancel is a C13 piscina
with reset round head and an aumbry. On the north side is an
ogee headed aumbry with a reset late medieval corbel with carved
human head. Fittings include fine altar rails with turned
balusters, c.1720, upper part of C15 rood screen with pierced
panel decoration. The lower part is of C18 panels. C18 octagonal
panelled pulpit. North side of nave has panelled box pews. Font
is C15 octagonal type with shields and roses in the upper panels.
At the west end of the nave is a nearly C19 wooden gallery with
arched balustrade. Monuments: in the chancel north wall is the
matrix of a late medieval brass. In the nave south wall is a
fine inscribed and decorated brass plate to Sir Marmaduke
Tyrwhitt, d.1599, showing the deceased and his wife praying
before an altar with their children and armorials, contained in a
panelled ashlar surround having traces of paint. On the east
wall of the nave an unusual inscribed copper plate to Mrs Sarah
Ashton, d.1739, with coat of arms in purbeck marble architrave
supported on 2 brackets.


Listing NGR: SE8875700825

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.