History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Workshop Range to South East of Main Engine House Crossness Pumping Station

A Grade II Listed Building in Thamesmead East, London

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5085 / 51°30'30"N

Longitude: 0.1389 / 0°8'19"E

OS Eastings: 548528

OS Northings: 181013

OS Grid: TQ485810

Mapcode National: GBR R0.PP9

Mapcode Global: VHHNL.CB8X

Entry Name: Workshop Range to South East of Main Engine House Crossness Pumping Station

Listing Date: 1 March 1990

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1064216

English Heritage Legacy ID: 198747

Location: Bexley, London, SE28

County: London

District: Bexley

Electoral Ward/Division: Thamesmead East

Traditional County: Kent

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Church of England Parish: Thamesmead

Church of England Diocese: Southwark

Find accommodation in
Belvedere

Listing Text

BELVEDERE ROAD
TQ 48 SE
BELVEDERE
1/2 Workshop range to SE of
main engine house (qv)
Crossness Pumping Station
II GV
Workshop. Built 1862-5 by Contractor William Webster to designs of
Sir Joseph Bazalgette and Charles Henry Driver, Flemish bond yellow brick with
gauged red brick dressings and Portland stone to kneelers and buttresses; gabled
slate roof with glazed rooflights. Rectangular plan. Each 3-bay gable end has
stone-coped gable with moulded kneelers: plank double doors set in semi-circular
arched architrave with raised imposts and dog-tooth hood mould set within similar
third recessed arch flanked by recessed panels; doorway flanked by similar blind
arches set in square-headed recessed bay with carved stone corbels to arcaded
frieze and dentilled dog-tooth cornice. North wall of 12 bays has similar blind
arches set in similar square-headed recessed bays, and 4-bay lean-to with moulded
stone cornice and semi-circular arched east doorway with fanlight. South wall of
24 bays has offset buttresses dividing recessed bays each of which has similar
frieze and cornice. Interior: 12-bay wrought-iron roof. One of a pair of
workshops facing south elevation of the boiler house of Bazalgette's main engine
house of 1862-5.
(Contract drawings in GLRO: MBW 2511)


Listing NGR: TQ4852881013

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.