This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.4564 / 51°27'23"N
Longitude: 0.1183 / 0°7'6"E
OS Eastings: 547273
OS Northings: 175179
OS Grid: TQ472751
Mapcode National: GBR Q8.Y8V
Mapcode Global: VHHNS.0NFC
Entry Name: Danson Park Mansion
Listing Date: 1 October 1953
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1064225
English Heritage Legacy ID: 198666
Location: Bexley, London, DA6
Electoral Ward/Division: Danson Park
Built-Up Area: Bexley
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: Welling St John the Evangelist
Church of England Diocese: Rochester
TQ 47 NE 2/9 Danson Park Mansion
This mansion was built by Sir Robert Taylor about 1765 for Alderman, later
Sir, John Boyd and originally called Banson Hill. Wings were added later,
which have since been demolished. The Park was laid out by 'Capability' Brown
in 1761. The house is of Portland stone; the ground floor being rusticated.
It has 3 storeys; the principal apartments being on the first floor. Heavy
modillion eaves cornice. Slate roof. Windows in moulded architrave surrounds,
with glazing bars intact; those on the first floor having projecting cornices
over and panels of balustrading below. All 4 fronts are exposed, but the north
and south fronts are slightly wider than the east and west fronts. The east,
west and south fronts have a canted bay of 3 windows on all floors in the centre.
The north front has a square central projection, with a pediment over containing
a round window in the typanum. The entrance is on this side. Nineteen wide
steps, with a balustrade on each side, lead up to the front door, on the piano
nobile. This has engaged Corinthian columns, a modillion cornice and a vase
over it between volutes and a medallion and swags between the architrave and
the moulded surround of the door. The interior has a fine central oval staircase,
with a gallery of 8 Ionic columns on the second floor and an oval dome above,
and some fine rooms.
Listing NGR: TQ4727375179
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings