History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of All Saints

A Grade II* Listed Building in Long Whatton and Diseworth, Leicestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.8053 / 52°48'19"N

Longitude: -1.2859 / 1°17'9"W

OS Eastings: 448236

OS Northings: 323320

OS Grid: SK482233

Mapcode National: GBR 7HZ.5PH

Mapcode Global: WHDHH.6RX8

Entry Name: Church of All Saints

Listing Date: 7 December 1962

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1064262

English Heritage Legacy ID: 358217

Location: Long Whatton and Diseworth, North West Leicestershire, Leicestershire, LE12

County: Leicestershire

District: North West Leicestershire

Civil Parish: Long Whatton and Diseworth

Traditional County: Leicestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire

Church of England Parish: Long Whatton All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Leicester

Find accommodation in
Kegworth

Listing Text

LONG WHATTON THE GREEN
SK 42 SE
5/170
Church of All Saints
7.12.62
GV
II*

Parish church. Late C12 - early C13 tower with C15-C16 upper stage. Remainder
C14 in origin but much restored and partly rebuilt 1865-6. Rubble stone with
slate roofs. Nave and aisles, south porch, tower at east end of south aisle,
chancel, south vestry. Tower is of 3 stages with slender clasping buttresses to
lower stage, and battlemented parapet. Bell-chamber openings are C15-C16 of 2
lights with cusped tracery, depressed arches and carved heads to stops and
apices of hoodmoulds. East and west openings are transomed. Middle stage has
east, west and north windows of c1200, each with 2 slightly pointed lights in an
unmoulded semicircular arch. Central mullions take form of octagonal piers with
small capitals. West window is blocked. South side of tower has later 2-light
traceried window to lower stage. Remainder of church is in Decorated style with
C19 traceried windows, off-set buttresses, and moulded plinth to nave and south
aisle. Chancel and vestry have battlemented parapets. West end of church has 3
steep gables, each with 3-light window, the nave also with door in moulded
arch. North aisle originally of earlier C14 date than remainder, with 3 2-light
windows to north, 3-light east window, and small north door in chamfered arch.
Later C14 south aisle has 2 and 3-light windows and larger south doors in
completely restored moulded arch. South porch is gabled, with gabled
buttresses, chamfered arch on semi-octagonal piers, and small cusped side
lights. Chancel has 2-light north window, single cusped light to south, and
large 3-light east window. Vestry is C19-C20 with traceried windows and south
door. INTERIOR: nave arcades have double-chamfered arches on octagonal piers.
North arcade, of 5 bays, has shorter arches and capitals of different design to
those of taller 3-bay south arcade. C19 roofs, the nave with C19 clerestory of
2-light traceried dormer windows. Aisles each have a piscina, that to south
with cusped ogee arch. Tower has lancet windows to lower and middle stages of
west wall, and heavy double-chamfered arch to nave. Similar chancel arch with
piscina and sedilia. FITTINGS; restored circular C12 font with frieze of
diagonally crossed squares, in baptistery surrounded by traceried wooden screens
of 1929. More traceried wooden screens at east end of north aisle, much
restored but with some C15-C16 fragments. Chancel screens of similar date were
brought from Colston Bassett,Notts, in 1894. Good pulpit of 1613 with carved
arcaded panels, brought from Shefford, Berks 1897. Chair dated 1W 1655. Late
C19-C20 glass.
MONUMENTS: to Mary Dawson 1779, in form of large white marble urn with flame
finial and draped inscriptions, on marble pedestal with panels commemorating
children. Other marble wall tablets, including one to Abigail Smith 1695.


Listing NGR: SK4823623320

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.