History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Oswald

A Grade II* Listed Building in Blankney, Lincolnshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.


Latitude: 53.1265 / 53°7'35"N

Longitude: -0.405 / 0°24'17"W

OS Eastings: 506826

OS Northings: 360003

OS Grid: TF068600

Mapcode National: GBR GQD.SJQ

Mapcode Global: WHGJM.RPC0

Entry Name: Church of St Oswald

Listing Date: 1 February 1967

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1064285

English Heritage Legacy ID: 358274

Location: Blankney, North Kesteven, Lincolnshire, LN4

County: Lincolnshire

District: North Kesteven

Civil Parish: Blankney

Traditional County: Lincolnshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire

Church of England Parish: Blankney St Oswald

Church of England Diocese: Lincoln

Find accommodation in

Listing Text

TF 0660 and TF 05 NE (east side)

7/3 and 5/3
Church of St Oswald


Parish Church. C12, C13, C15 west tower rebuilt 1805-7, restored c1820 and restored
1879-81 by Carpenter and Ingelow. Coursed limestone rubble with ashlar dressings.
Plain tile and slate roofs, with ashlar coped gables with moulded kneelers and
finials. Angle buttresses with set-offs. Moulded ashlar eaves cornice with down-
pipe brackets. West tower, nave and aisles, chancel with north chantry chapel,
and south porch. Three stage, west tower has thin clasping gabled buttresses,
chamfered ashlar plinth and moulded quatrefoil band. West face has a narrow pointed
2-light window with reticulated tracery, above a pair of pointed 2-light windows
with simpler reticulated tracery, and above again a pair of similar bell openings
also under a single ogee hood which rises to a central pinnacle. The north and
south faces have blank first and second stages, with the third stage identical to
the east and west faces. The tower is topped by cusped battlements and 8 crocketted
pinnacles. Attached to the south face is an octagonal stair turret with a pointed,
moulded and chamfered arched doorway, and above cusped lancets and a band of
quatrefoil, and topped by copped battlements. The north aisle, west wall has a
single pointed arched, chamfered lancet, and the north wall has three, 2-light
pointed arched windows, in double chamfered surrounds with trefoil tracery, and
a small pointed arched doorway to the east. The chantry chapel has a quatrefoil
parapet, and two large gargoyles with a low segment headed doorway, with a C19
studded door in a moulded chamfered surround. Above, three 2-light panel tracery
windows in chamfered surrounds with segment heads. The east wall has a shallow
pointed arched 3-light window with panel tracery in a moulded chamfered surround.
The chancel east wall has a large pointed arched 3-light window with intersecting
tracery in a chamfered surround. The chancel south wall has 3 pointed lancets in
chamfered surrounds, and to the west a tall ashlar stack with an octagonal pinnacle
top. The south aisle has three, 2-light intersecting tracery windows in chamfered
surrounds on the south wall, and a single chamfered lancet to the west. The gabled
south porch has diagonal buttresses, a coped gable and cross finial. The outer
archway, has a shallow arched opening with shafts and a moulded chamfered arch.
The inner doorway has a double, roll moulded, pointed arch, and the porch has stone
benches. Interior: 3 bay nave arcades with double chamfered pointed arches,
octagonal piers and responds with moulded capitals, and stone seats around the pier
bases. Tall C19 double chamfered tower arch. Double chamfered pointed chancel
arch, north aisle arch and two similar chancel arches into the chantry chapel, all
with octagonal piers and responds and moulded capitals and bases. The north aisle
arch is also decorated with dogtooth. Heavily restored double arched sedilia with
circular shaft. Fine, mid C18 wooden carved lecturn. Unusual praying desk, made
from C18 table legs. C19 wooden roofs, pulpit, choir stalls and pews. 12 ornate
C19 iron candelabra. Elaborate wooden reredos c1900 carved, painted and gilded.
Chantry chapel contains a large Gothick style monument with marble relief of
mourning lady to Lady Florence Chaplin, 1851. Small mandala-shaped wall tablet
to Caroline Chaplin. North aisle has a small alabaster and bronze First World War
memorial tablet.

Listing NGR: TF0682660003

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.