This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.4325 / 51°25'56"N
Longitude: 0.0487 / 0°2'55"E
OS Eastings: 542508
OS Northings: 172378
OS Grid: TQ425723
Mapcode National: GBR MT.JY4
Mapcode Global: VHHNX.S8L6
Entry Name: Geffery's Homes (Almshouses)
Listing Date: 29 June 1973
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1064401
English Heritage Legacy ID: 358536
Location: Bromley, London, SE9
Electoral Ward/Division: Mottingham and Chislehurst North
Built-Up Area: Bromley
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: Mottingham St Andrew with St Alban
Church of England Diocese: Southwark
MOTTINGHAM ROAD, MOTTINGHAM
Geffery' s Homes
TQ 47 SW 6/96
These almshouses were originally formed by Sir Robert Jeffery Lord Mayor of
London at Bridewell for the domestic servants of the Ironmongers Guild.
In 1903, the present almshouses were built and the original statue of
Sir Robert Jeffery and his funeral monument moved to the site.
A Neo-Georgian building. 2 storeys. 3 sides of a square. Brick with tile
roof. The centre projects with pediment containing festoons and the motto
"God our strength". The centre portion has an open curved pediment,
triglyphs 2 Doric columns and rectangular fanlight. Rusticated quoins.
Flat arches with keystones. Stringcourses. On each side of the central
projection there is one storey with round window and to the side of this
are 2 wings with each 3 pediments and 3 doors. The centre door of each wing
has a curved pediment supported by 2 Tuscan pillars and 4 pilasters. There
is a round headed door with fanlight. On each side there is a doorcase with
flat hood supported by brackets and rectangular fanlight.
The rear elevation has the statue of Sir Robert Jeffery and a clock
incorporated in the centre of the masonry. The windows have jalousies.
There is a 5 arched colonnade on the ground floor with balcony with
Listing NGR: TQ4250872378
Other nearby listed buildings