This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.5609 / 51°33'39"N
Longitude: 0.1556 / 0°9'20"E
OS Eastings: 549519
OS Northings: 186869
OS Grid: TQ495868
Mapcode National: GBR RR.7X7
Mapcode Global: VHHND.N137
Entry Name: Main Building and Council Chamber of Dagenham Civic Centre
Listing Date: 24 August 1981
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1064422
English Heritage Legacy ID: 198262
Location: Barking and Dagenham, London, RM10
District: Barking and Dagenham
Electoral Ward/Division: Heath
Built-Up Area: Barking and Dagenham
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: Becontree St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford
Main building and Council
Chamber of Dagenham Civic
TQ 48 NE 3/9
Built in 1936. Architect E Berry Webber. Modern style. Built of mulberry
coloured stocks laid mainly in English Bond with Portland stone dressings.
Symmetrical facade of 3 storeys and semi-basement. Central Portland stone
portico of higher elevation with 4 slim clustered columns and 3 reliefs with
Civic Shield and personifications of some main industries of the area. Glazed
staircase hall behind. The central staircase hall is flanked by wings of
13 bays each and further bay of 2 storeys; the whole having glazed semi-circular
staircase projections at each end. Metal framed casements, the first floor
windows having cornices and cast iron flower guards. Stone parapet, band
and plinth. Cast iron guards to semi-basement. Semi-circular Council Chamber
to rear, behind central staircase hall. Some modern rear extensions do not
detract from the original design.
Listing NGR: TQ4951986869
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings