History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Cressy Hall

A Grade II* Listed Building in Gosberton, Lincolnshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.8579 / 52°51'28"N

Longitude: -0.1834 / 0°11'0"W

OS Eastings: 522404

OS Northings: 330479

OS Grid: TF224304

Mapcode National: GBR HW9.VV2

Mapcode Global: WHHM7.4FXF

Entry Name: Cressy Hall

Listing Date: 7 February 1967

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1064460

English Heritage Legacy ID: 198156

Location: Gosberton, South Holland, Lincolnshire, PE11

County: Lincolnshire

District: South Holland

Civil Parish: Gosberton

Traditional County: Lincolnshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire

Church of England Parish: Gosberton St Peter and St Paul

Church of England Diocese: Lincoln

Find accommodation in
Donington

Listing Text

GOSBERTON CAWOOD LANE
TF 23 SW
(north side)
4/42 Cressy Hall
7.2.67 II*
House. Built in 1794, following a fire. Red brick in Flemish
bond, painted ashlar dressings, concrete tiled hipped roof, 2
wall stacks. 3 storey plus cellars, 5 bay box with flanking
single storey pedimented pavillions one of which contains the
kitchen. Plinth with stucco band, first floor band, modillion
eaves course and cornice to parapet. The 5 bays are slightly
advanced. Central 6 panel door up 6 moulded ashlar steps,
traceried fanlight, Doric doorcase with open pediment, flanked by
pairs of glazing bar sashes. To first floor 5 similar windows.
To second floor 5 smaller similar windows. All windows have
rubbed brick flat arched heads. The flanking pavillions contain
a single semi-circular headed glazing bar sash, set in recessed
semi-circular headed panel, with impost and band, the centre is
broken forward and open pedimented, surmounted by a small stack.
In the pediment a fan patera. In the side front a central
tripartite sash, flanked by blank openings. The rear elevation
is of 3 bays, with 2 semi-circular openings to cellar, a semi-
circular headed stair light, at mezzanine level, has pilastered
surround, keyblock and fluted console brackets. To either side
are single tripartite sashes to ground and first floors. Above
the central window a Roccoco cartouche. To the second floor a
central small glazing bar sash is flanked by single Diocletian
windows. Interior. Full height bow fronted panelled cupboard in
butler's pantry. Stick baluster back stair. Kitchen has 3 wide
basket arches. Main stair is stick baluster having wreathed
mahogany rail with entasia star. Dentillated cornices. Stair
hall arch. Front rooms have Adam style fireplace surrounds with
fluted pilasters, wreathes, vases, shepherd scenes, and
contemporary cornices. Wide archway, with fluted pilasters,
garlanded on the underside, in left hand room. 6 panel doors and
shutters throughout. The site is moated and was the site of a
medieval manor, belonging to the Cressy family. The later house
of 1695 was built for Sir Henry Heron.


Listing NGR: TF2240430479

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.