History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St John the Evangelist

A Grade II Listed Building in Weston, Lincolnshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.7608 / 52°45'38"N

Longitude: -0.1103 / 0°6'37"W

OS Eastings: 527609

OS Northings: 319808

OS Grid: TF276198

Mapcode National: GBR JYW.WFM

Mapcode Global: WHHMN.8VPV

Entry Name: Church of St John the Evangelist

Listing Date: 7 December 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1064469

English Heritage Legacy ID: 198078

Location: Weston, South Holland, Lincolnshire, PE12

County: Lincolnshire

District: South Holland

Civil Parish: Weston

Built-Up Area: Weston Hills

Traditional County: Lincolnshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire

Church of England Parish: Aubourn St Peter

Church of England Diocese: Lincoln

Find accommodation in
Spalding

Listing Text

WESTON BROADGATE
TF 21 NE (west side)
Weston Hills

11/116 Church of St. John
the Evangelist

II

Chapel of Ease. 1888, 1896, C20. Red brick with stock brick
dressings, some ashlar dressings. Slate roofs with stone coped
gables with tumbling and kneelers; small gabled ventilator
openings, stack to south and cross finials. Nave with south
aisle, north transept and tower with lantern, chancel. Stock
brick dressed plinth runs round entire church. Regularly placed
pilaster buttresses. West front with 2 lancets in semi-circular
headed slight recess. Single lancet to right. North side of
nave with 2 lancets. 3 stage tower of 1896 attached to north
with paired lancets to west and north; and single lancets above
to west and north. C20 lean-to to east, with plank door. Bell
openings on all 4 sides with paired trefoil headed openings each
with ashlar mouchette and hood mould. Octagonal lantern with 4
lancets alternating with blind, pilastered panels. Ashlar
battlements. East end of north transept with pointed doorway
with plank door. North side of chancel with sill band. East end
with sill band running under 3 lancets, that in centre taller,
and all in recessed blind panel. South side of chancel with sill
band and lancet. West side of south aisle with pointed doorway
with plank door. South side with 3 pairs of Caernarvon headed
lights and pointed doorway beyond with plank door. Interior with
pointed double chamfered chancel arch. Archway to north transept
with pointed head and double chamfered surround. Chancel with
shaped piscina and niche to right. Some painted decoration on
chancel roof. Tracered reredos. C19 octagonal font.


Listing NGR: TF2760919808

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.