This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.8039 / 52°48'14"N
Longitude: 0.0163 / 0°0'58"E
OS Eastings: 536017
OS Northings: 324837
OS Grid: TF360248
Mapcode National: GBR JYN.BXK
Mapcode Global: WHHMJ.7S09
Entry Name: Mansion House
Listing Date: 30 June 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1064488
English Heritage Legacy ID: 198025
Location: Holbeach, South Holland, Lincolnshire, PE12
District: South Holland
Civil Parish: Holbeach
Built-Up Area: Holbeach
Traditional County: Lincolnshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire
Church of England Parish: Holbeach All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Lincoln
HOLBEACH HIGH STREET
TF 3624-3724 (south side)
16/63 No.45, Mansion House
House, now restaurant. Early C18. Red brick, some painted
ashlar dressings. Plain tiled roof with tripartite stack to
rear. 2 storeys with attic and basement, 5 bay front with ground
and first floor bands, the latter rising over the doorway.
Central bay projects slightly and is topped by a pediment. 5
steps lead up to the central doorway flanked by iron railings. 2
two light glazing bar casements flank steps at basement level.
The doorway has a plain doorcase with decorative brackets
supporting hood with cornice, panelled reveal, decorated glazing
bar overlight and partially glazed and panelled door. Doorway
flanked by 2 glazing bar sashes on each side, with 5 glazing bar
sashes above. All the windows have flush, wedge brick lintels.
2 hipped dormers with glazing bar sashes. Blue plaque to right
of doorway gives the information that Sir Norman Angell, author
and lecturer, (1872-1967) and winner of the 1933 Nobel Peace
Prize, was born here. Interior with fielded panelled hallway
flanked by rooms each with fielded panelling, shutters, window
seats and fluted giant order pilasters flanking the fireplaces;
the latter being of the late C19 in the room to the west, and
c.1930 in the room to the east. Acanthus centre above. 4 flight
return, early C18 staircase with turned banisters with square
knops, panelled newels and dado and moulded handrail.
Listing NGR: TF3601724837
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings