History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Serpentine House with Attached Garden Wall and Handpump

A Grade II Listed Building in Holbeach, Lincolnshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.801 / 52°48'3"N

Longitude: 0.0157 / 0°0'56"E

OS Eastings: 535987

OS Northings: 324503

OS Grid: TF359245

Mapcode National: GBR JYN.JR1

Mapcode Global: WHHMJ.6VQL

Entry Name: Serpentine House with Attached Garden Wall and Handpump

Listing Date: 16 June 1966

Last Amended: 16 June 1976

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1064528

English Heritage Legacy ID: 198015

Location: Holbeach, South Holland, Lincolnshire, PE12

County: Lincolnshire

District: South Holland

Civil Parish: Holbeach

Built-Up Area: Holbeach

Traditional County: Lincolnshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire

Church of England Parish: Holbeach All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Lincoln

Find accommodation in
Holbeach

Listing Text

HOLBEACH BARRINGTON GATE
TF 3424-3524 (west side)
TF 3624-3524
15/52 Serpentine House
16/52 with attached garden
wall and handpump
16.6.76
II

House. 1831, enlarged c.1860. Red brick with some ashlar
dressings. Hipped slate roofs with 4 lateral stacks. 2 storeys
with basement, 4 bay east front with the 2 right hand bays of
1831, being lower and set back slightly. Basement with 3 glazing
bar sashes to the left and a single 3 light glazing bar casement
to right. 4 glazing bar sashes on both the floors above, those
in the 2 right hand bays being smaller. All the windows with
flush wedge stone lintels. Plaque between the 2 top floor right
hand bays inscribed: 'AH 1831'. Extensions of c.1860 to south.
North return wall with a flight of curved ashlar steps with
rusticated front wall, curved stone balusters with square piers
and ball finials on inner wall. Steps lead up to open doric
porch with entablature and cornice with inner reveal and panelled
door. Partially glazed door to left with flush wedge ashlar
lintel and raised keystone. Small glazing bar casement to right.
Bay to the right projects slightly and contains semi-circular
headed arch. Glazing bar sash above with a semi-circular headed
glazing bar sash above the porch, with margin lights. Adjoining
red brick garden wall to the right broken by semi-circular headed
archway with woad and cast iron painted hand pump, beyond.


Listing NGR: TF3598724503

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.