History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Cross Keys Bridge (Formerly Including Hydraulic Engine House)

A Grade II* Listed Building in Sutton Bridge, Lincolnshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.7665 / 52°45'59"N

Longitude: 0.1954 / 0°11'43"E

OS Eastings: 548217

OS Northings: 321030

OS Grid: TF482210

Mapcode National: GBR M1Y.G7G

Mapcode Global: WHJNX.ZQ6G

Entry Name: Cross Keys Bridge (Formerly Including Hydraulic Engine House)

Listing Date: 11 January 1980

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1064536

English Heritage Legacy ID: 197930

Location: Sutton Bridge, South Holland, Lincolnshire, PE12

County: Lincolnshire

District: South Holland

Civil Parish: Sutton Bridge

Traditional County: Lincolnshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire

Church of England Parish: Sutton Bridge St Matthew

Church of England Diocese: Lincoln

Find accommodation in
Sutton Bridge

Listing Text

SUTTON BRIDGE RIVER NENE
TF 42 SE
5/84 Cross Keys Bridge
(formerly including
Hydraulic Engine
House)
11/1/80
G.V. II*

Road and rail hydraulic swing bridge, now road bridge. Opened
1897, erected by A. Handyside & Co. Ltd. Steel, iron and wood.
The-swing span has 3 parallel bowstring braced girders carried on
a pivot pier. There are 2 fixed spans of steel plate girders at
the east end. Bridge topped with wooden podium surmounted by
hexgonal wood and glazed viewing chamber. Plaque to north west
inscribed 'Made and erected by A. Handyside & Co. Ltd. Derby and
London 1897. Hydraulic machinery by Sir W. G. Armstrong,
Whitworth & Co. Ltd. Steel for girders made by the Staffordshire
Steel Co., Bilston.' The first bridge of 1830/1 designed by
Rennie was timber with cast iron opening spans. This bridge
replaces the second bridge of 1850, designed by Stephenson, which
was used for rail traffic when the line from Spalding to Sutton
Bridge was extended to King's Lynn in 1866. The bridge is
connected underground to The Engine House, Sutton Bridge, item
5/85.


Listing NGR: TF4821721030

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.