This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.5101 / 51°30'36"N
Longitude: -0.0837 / 0°5'1"W
OS Eastings: 533080
OS Northings: 180760
OS Grid: TQ330807
Mapcode National: GBR TD.BV
Mapcode Global: VHGR0.H9LP
Entry Name: Church of St Mary at Hill
Listing Date: 4 January 1950
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1064600
English Heritage Legacy ID: 199605
Location: City of London, London, EC3R
District: City and County of the City of London
Electoral Ward/Division: Billingsgate
Built-Up Area: City of London
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): City of London
Church of England Parish: St Mary at Hill Eastcheap
Church of England Diocese: London
TQ 3380 NW
LOVAT LANE EC3 (East Side)
Church of St Mary at Hill
1670-76, by Wren. West tower and flanking lobbies added by George Gwilt in 1787-88 when plaster vault and ceilings were renewed. Nearly square body with four columns supporting cross barrel vault and low dome with lantern. Round-arched windows, central ones Venetian. North and south sides rendered - very plain except for arched doorway to north with C18 fanlight. Both sides obscured by adjoining buildings at east end. East elevation of painted stone with high, double pedestal, blind Venetian window flanked by single openings and central pediment broken by blind lunette. Lead-covered, arched rood rising behind. Large bracketed clock at south end. Two rainwater heads dated 1787. Tower and western lobbies plainly built of yellow brick and Portland stone with recessed, round arched windows, small entablature and parapet. Tower in four stages with fanlight to pedimented doorway, lunette above, simple window openings and crowning battlements.
Interior with Corinthian columns and pilasters supporting enriched barrel vault and coffered saucer dome. Box pews. Fine late C17 fittings, altered and added to in 1848-9, include reredos, pulpit with tester, altar rails, communion table, font and cover, organ case (on small west gallery), two sword rests etc.
Listing NGR: TQ3308080760
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings