This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.5204 / 51°31'13"N
Longitude: -0.0914 / 0°5'29"W
OS Eastings: 532513
OS Northings: 181891
OS Grid: TQ325818
Mapcode National: GBR R9.M4
Mapcode Global: VHGR0.C1JS
Entry Name: Former Porter Tun Room, Whitbread's Brewery (south side)
Listing Date: 5 June 1972
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1064618
English Heritage Legacy ID: 199646
Location: City of London, London, EC2Y
District: City and County of the City of London
Electoral Ward/Division: Coleman Street
Built-Up Area: City of London
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): City of London
Church of England Parish: St Giles Cripplegate
Church of England Diocese: London
The entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 31 July 2017.
MILTON STREET EC1
635-1/79/241 (South side)
Former Porter Tun Room, Whitbread's
Brewery (south side)
(Formerly Listed as:
No 1 Room Whitbread's Brewery
Porter Tun Room, that is, a storehouse, now adapted for
conferences and entertainment. 1776-1784. The lower part now
lying behind additions of c.1979 by Roderick Gradidge and
Wolff Olins. Brown brick set in Flemish bond, roof of slate.
Now of two storeys; five-window range to yard. Flat-arched
windows with frames set almost flush with the wall;
multi-paned windows; bracketed gutters to eaves; two metal air
vents to west end. King-post roof of thirteeen bays, the two
westernmost now partly obscured; the roof has the widest
timber span in London after Westminster Hall.
(Historians' file, English Heritage London Division; Gavin
Stamp: London 1900: London: 1978-: P.410).
Listing NGR: TQ3252181897
The asset was previously listed twice also in the London Borough of Islington at List entry 1262300. This entry was removed from the List on 31 July 2017.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings