This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.5142 / 51°30'51"N
Longitude: -0.1102 / 0°6'36"W
OS Eastings: 531229
OS Northings: 181172
OS Grid: TQ312811
Mapcode National: GBR MC.DC
Mapcode Global: VHGR0.16LJ
Entry Name: Church of St Dunstan in the West (Including Attached Sunday School)
Listing Date: 4 January 1950
Last Amended: 23 March 1998
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1064663
English Heritage Legacy ID: 199471
Location: City of London, London, EC4A
District: City and County of the City of London
Electoral Ward/Division: Farringdon Without
Built-Up Area: City of London
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): City of London
Church of England Parish: St Bride Fleet Street
Church of England Diocese: London
TQ 3181 SW FLEET STREET, EC4
627/7/75 Church of St Dunstan in the West
(including attached Sunday School)
Parish church and attached Sunday School incorporating church vestry. Church 1830-33 on site of a church dating from c1170, incorporating monuments from the earlier church and statues and masonry from the nearby Ludgate, demolished in 1760 for road widening. Architect John Shaw Senior completed after his death by his son John. Sunday School of 1839 by Shaw. Church is an octagonal, Gothic design in yellow brick with stone dressings. Ketton stone tower to south of three stages with ogee to entrance arch, buttresses and crockets. Top stage has triple arched windows with cinquefoil lights. Above this is slender octagonal stone lantern. Immediately to the right of the south door is a memorial tablet to Izaac Walton erected in 1895. Attached to the east of the church is a bracketed clock of 1671 by Thomas Harris brought to the church in 1935. Above this in a wooden Ionic aedicule are two figures of men wielding clubs to strike bells either side of a false door. Below this is the Northcliffe Memorial of 1930 with obelisk designed by Lutyens and bronze bust by Lady Scott. Plaster vault to interior of church over iron structure with pointed plaster tunnel vaults with transverse ribs, the four diagonal recesses also with rib vaults and main vault star-ribbed above a clerestorey of eight identical windows. Chancel to north. Entrances to west from Clifford's Inn Passage and east (vestry). Fittings of the 1830s by Shaw include pews, font and pulpit with linenfold panelling. Altar surround incorporates early C16 Flemish woodwork. Stalls have fragments of late C17 pierced carving. Organ by Joseph Robson 1834, in a case probably designed by John Shaw. North west window to Izaac Walton by Kempe behind the Iconostasis of c1860 brought from Antim Monastery Bucharest. Wrought iron sword rest of frame type of 1745.Monuments include a C16 brass and figurative tombs, busts and wall tablets dating from the C16 to the mid C19, mainly preserved from the previous church on the site. Attached to the east is the Sunday School with a plaque with the inscription "St Dunstan in the West AD 1839". Stone faced with parapet with two small ball finials with three panels below, the centre one containing the inscription. Centre has aedicule with decorated pilasters and swansneck pediment of c1667 from the Ludgate demolished in 1760. In the central niche is a statue of Queen Elizabeth I in state robes with orb and sceptre, probably made in 1586 by William Kerwin and removed from the Ludgate. Beneath is a round-headed arch with strapwork motif above and beneath the arch in the vestry porch are three decayed stone statues on stone plinths said to represent King Lud and his sons, also removed from the Ludgate.
[See Pevsner BOE London 1: The City pp 214-217 and p501.]
Listing NGR: TQ3122981180
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings