This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.5094 / 51°30'33"N
Longitude: -0.0793 / 0°4'45"W
OS Eastings: 533385
OS Northings: 180687
OS Grid: TQ333806
Mapcode National: GBR VF.B3
Mapcode Global: VHGR0.KBX8
Entry Name: Church of All Hallows by the Tower
Listing Date: 4 January 1950
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1064671
English Heritage Legacy ID: 199494
Location: City of London, London, EC3R
District: City and County of the City of London
Electoral Ward/Division: Tower
Built-Up Area: City of London
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): City of London
Church of England Parish: All Hallows-by-the-Tower
Church of England Diocese: London
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 26/02/2013
TQ 3380 NW 17/474
GREAT TOWER STREET EC3 (North Side)
Church of All Hallows by the Tower
(Formerly listed as Church of All Hallows, Barking by the Tower)
Saxon and medieval building with brick tower of 1658 to 9. Burnt in World War
II. Arcades, centre of east end, roof and steeple rebuilt to new design by Seeley
and Paget. Old walls, largely refaced, are of squared rubble in C15 style. 2
storeyed north porch and vestry, late Cl9 or early C20 in ornamental gothic style.
3 storeyed, C20 south-west wing of brick and stone. Plain tower of red brick with
wooden, modillion cornice and elaborate, copper covered steeple rising through
circular balustrade of Portland stone. Crypt under south-east chapel. Some fittings
from old church survive including canopied stone monument to Sir John Cooke, 1477,
and a number of medieval brasses. Also very fine late C17 font cover, sword rests,
stair balustrade etc. In crypt are remains of later C2 or C3. Roman house including
part of a corridor and adjacent rooms. Ragstone walls, half timbered partitions
and tessellated floor (preserved below tower) (358 and 359). Later C7 or C8.
Aisleless church built of reused Roman material and incorporated in the early medieval
church. Arched doorway with Roman brick drawings, probably to former porticus,
at west end of church.
Listing NGR: TQ3338580687
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings