This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.5137 / 51°30'49"N
Longitude: -0.0936 / 0°5'36"W
OS Eastings: 532386
OS Northings: 181143
OS Grid: TQ323811
Mapcode National: GBR RC.4K
Mapcode Global: VHGR0.B6DX
Entry Name: Church of St Mary Le Bow
Listing Date: 4 January 1950
Last Amended: 10 November 1977
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1064696
English Heritage Legacy ID: 199370
Location: City of London, London, EC2V
District: City and County of the City of London
Electoral Ward/Division: Cordwainer
Built-Up Area: City of London
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): City of London
Church of England Parish: St Mary le Bow Cheapside
Church of England Diocese: London
Church of St Mary-le-Bow
(Formerly listed as Remains
of Church of St Mary-le-Bow)
TQ 3281 SW 9/243 4.1.50.
1670-83 by Wren. Crypt C12. Interior destroyed in World War II and reconstructed
in near facsimile. Square body of churoch has arcades of 3 bays separating wide
central aisle from very narrow aisles at either side. Exterior faced in red brick with dressings of Portland stone. East and west elevations have pedimented or gabled centres with 3 arched windows, flanked by narrower windows with circular openings above. Pedimented west door. The central south door is disused and there is an arched window to either side of it. The interior has a plaster vault supported by an order of engaged Corinthian columns. Clerestorey lighting. No old fittings. Large, plain, groin-vaulted lobby joins church to tower fronting Cheapside. One of Wren's largest and finest designs, this has an open ground storey and above a balconied window to the street is a bracketed clock. The pilastered belfry stage supports a balustrade with scrolled finials at the corners and a steeple with 2 orders of columns, the upper order renewed in granite in the C19. To the north of the church is a vestry and beneath this and the main building is a good but altered C12 crypt.
Listing NGR: TQ3238681139
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings