This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.5167 / 51°31'0"N
Longitude: -0.0816 / 0°4'53"W
OS Eastings: 533206
OS Northings: 181500
OS Grid: TQ332815
Mapcode National: GBR TB.TG
Mapcode Global: VHGR0.J4QM
Entry Name: Church of St Botolph
Listing Date: 4 January 1950
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1064747
English Heritage Legacy ID: 199309
Location: City of London, London, EC2M
District: City and County of the City of London
Electoral Ward/Division: Bishopsgate
Built-Up Area: City of London
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): City of London
Church of England Parish: St Botolph without Bishopsgate
Church of England Diocese: London
1.5002 (West Side)
Church of St Botolph
TQ 3381 NW 5/57
TQ 3381 SW 11/57 4.1.50.
1725-9, altered considerably. Aisled and galleried nave with tower over square chancel, flanked by lobbies. East elevation (to Bishopsgate) of Portland stone with arched window framed by paired Doric pilasters supporting pediment. Corniced doors on either side connected to windows above. Circular openings over and cornice topped by balustrade. Tower rises in 3 stages with pilasters, clock etc and is topped by 4 urns arid a circular lantern, within a balustrade, capped with ogee dome and carved finial. Other elevations of red brick and Portland stone, altered in C19. Nave is lower than east end with 2 tiers of windows, segmentally arched below and round-arched above. Small cornice and parapet. C19 doorway to north and south, latter with enrichment. Centre of west end set forward with flanking consoles and-Venetian window. Corinthian colonnade on pedestals to interior, supporting architrave and panelled barrel vault with enrichment. Coved ceiling to aisles. Panelled front to gallery which is supported on pair of Ionic columns and piers at west end and has 2 vestries below. Arch to groin-vaulted chancel with enriched panels to intrados. Pulpit and organ case (divided into 2) apparently early C18.Circular lantern added to centre of nave.
Listing NGR: TQ3320481501
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings