History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Erskine House

A Grade II Listed Building in Garden Suburb, London

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5858 / 51°35'8"N

Longitude: -0.1932 / 0°11'35"W

OS Eastings: 525277

OS Northings: 188982

OS Grid: TQ252889

Mapcode National: GBR C3.PZL

Mapcode Global: VHGQK.LDRP

Entry Name: Erskine House

Listing Date: 31 January 1990

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1064760

English Heritage Legacy ID: 199246

Location: Barnet, London, NW11

County: London

District: Barnet

Electoral Ward/Division: Garden Suburb

Built-Up Area: Barnet

Traditional County: Middlesex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Church of England Parish: St Jude-on-the-Hill Hampstead Garden Suburb

Church of England Diocese: London

Find accommodation in
East Finchley

Listing Text

TQ 2588 HAMPSTEAD HOMESFIELD
(east end)

26/181 Nos 1-4 (consec) Erskine
House

GV II

Two childrens' cottage homes; now 4 flats. 1911-12. By B Parker and R Unwin for
the Hampstead Garden Suburb Trust. Converted into flats early-mid C20 by
J Souter. Purpleish brick in Flemish bond with red brick dressings; plain tile
roof. 2 storeys; 7 bays, 1:2:1:2:1. Central and end bays project under hipped
roofs and are linked by round-arched loggias carrying lst-floor balconies. Red
brick plinth, quoins, and surrounds to openings. Wooden sash windows, of 15-panes
to ground floor, 12 panes above. Later central entrance has 2-panel door (with
glazed panel) in wooden architrave with console-bracketed pediment and impost
band. Above door, 15-pane window in red brick panel, rising through eaves under
hipped roof. End bays have paired ground-floor windows. Loggia has raised key-
blocks and imposts to round arches; inside it, a board door with small-pane over-
light into each end bay. lst-floor: balcony balustrade has notched wooden
balusters; French windows to bays 2 and 6. Stacks to rear roof pitch and inner
sides of end bays. Rear: board doors with small-pane overlights to centre and
rear ends, that at centre flanked by 2-bay, hipped-roofed projections. At each
end a small gabled privy with board door on inner side. Rainwater head dated
1911. This building was part of the Hampstead Garden Suburb. The two cottage
homes were originally called Ursula Cottage and Henrietta Cottage, and were
donated by George Cadbury and Canon Barnet.


Listing NGR: TQ2527788982

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.