History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Abbeyfield House and Attached Laundry House

A Grade II Listed Building in Garden Suburb, London

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.586 / 51°35'9"N

Longitude: -0.1934 / 0°11'36"W

OS Eastings: 525260

OS Northings: 189004

OS Grid: TQ252890

Mapcode National: GBR C3.PXB

Mapcode Global: VHGQK.LDMJ

Entry Name: Abbeyfield House and Attached Laundry House

Listing Date: 31 January 1990

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1064762

English Heritage Legacy ID: 199248

Location: Barnet, London, NW11

County: London

District: Barnet

Electoral Ward/Division: Garden Suburb

Built-Up Area: Barnet

Traditional County: Middlesex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Church of England Parish: St Jude-on-the-Hill Hampstead Garden Suburb

Church of England Diocese: London

Find accommodation in
East Finchley

Listing Text

TQ 2589 and TQ 2588 HAMPSTEAD HOMESFIELD
(north side)
22/180 and 26/180
Abbeyfield House and
attached laundry house

GV II


Childrens' home and day servants' house, now old peoples home. 1913-14. By
B Parker and R Unwin for the Hampstead Garden Suburb Trust. Purpleish brick in
Flemish bond with red brick dressings; plain tile roof. Semi-detached pair of
houses. 2 storeys with attic, 8 bays, 1:6:1; single-storey laundry of 1 x 3 bays
attached to rear left. Entrance elevation: red brick quoins and door and window
surrounds. End bays project and are linked by single-storey outshut which has an
internal porch at either end with attached wooden columns supporting cornices.
Doors of 6 flush panels, that on right retaining 3-light top panel. Two
tripartite windows to outshut. Unequally-hung 15-pane sashes to ground floor,
12-pane sashes to 1st floor, and four 12-pane sashes to flat-roofed attic
dormers. End bays have parapets and recessed hipped roofs. Central ridge stack,
and others on internal sides of end bays, in front roof pitch. Rear: 1:4:1 bays.
End bays project and are linked by 3-bay loggia, the centre of which projects and
has been further extended late C20. Loggia has keyed round arches to outer bays,
impost band, and band below parapet which fronts 1st floor balcony. Within the
loggia are doors and windows. On right is an iron stair up to 1st floor which has
doors to 2nd and 5th bays and to inner sides of end bays, and windows to 2-central
bays. 4 dormers taller to the hipped-roofed end bays. Right end bay has blocked
ground-floor door linked by canopy to former laundry. This has 4-panel door to
gable end; small-pane windows with centre-pivoting opening lights; and hipped roof
with stack to left side. Rainwater head dated 1913 to right return. This build-
ing was part of the Hampstead Garden Suburb and was donated by Mrs Knight and her
sister. It was originally called St Catherine's House.


Listing NGR: TQ2526089004

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.