This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.5729 / 51°34'22"N
Longitude: -0.1892 / 0°11'21"W
OS Eastings: 525588
OS Northings: 187558
OS Grid: TQ255875
Mapcode National: GBR C4.JZN
Mapcode Global: VHGQK.NQVK
Entry Name: Waterlow Court
Listing Date: 18 March 1965
Last Amended: 28 November 1996
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1064889
English Heritage Legacy ID: 198945
Location: Barnet, London, NW11
Electoral Ward/Division: Garden Suburb
Built-Up Area: Barnet
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: St Jude-on-the-Hill Hampstead Garden Suburb
Church of England Diocese: London
TQ2587 HEATH CLOSE, Hampstead Garden Suburb
31-0/28/38 Waterlow Court
Philanthropic housing for young women. 1908-09, to the design of M. H. Baillie-Scott, for the Improved Industrial Dwellings Company, founded in the 1860s by Sydney Waterlow. Brick, limewashed inside courtyard; timber framing with brick nogging; roofs and dressings of tile. Lych-gate like structure at the end of Heath close leads to timber-framed and covered walkway to two-storey quadrangle; on main axis a three-storey, gable-facing pavilion projects, with windows in diminishing widths and numbers to gable; flat-roofed dormers throughout; the intersection of pavilion roof with main ridge of quadrangle marked by timber cupola. High axial brick stacks each range. The most arresting features of interior are the the round.-arched arcades to the ground floor of all interior elevations which create a 'cloister' effect and which serve as walkway to ground-floor flats as well as giving access to stairs. Access off cloisters to fine dog-leg staircases with eighteenth-century style balusters and Jacobean style handrail and newel posts with turned finials. Accommodation is arranged in 3 to 5 room flats, simply designed with similar plank doors and cupboard doors with H-L hinges; some rooms retain open fireplaces. Former communal dining area, now flat, in gabled block to rear of courtyard not inspected. Window widths of cloister ranges vary slightly. Mullioned, leaded casements of an original design. Timber framing to exterior elevations. Included also is the attached Bungalow, of one storey, 6-window range and in similar style, with similar doors and fenestration. Waterlow Court was built as flats for working women and also contained communal rooms. The original fittings, door and window furniture made by J. Pyghtle White of Bedford for Ambrose Heal of London. Waterlow Court is rightly one of the most widely admired and studied of the Garden Suburb buildings: the high architectural quality derives from excellent proportions and the subtle relationship among window openings dormers, stacks, and, most memorable of all, the arcaded cloister.
Listing NGR: TQ2558887558
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings