This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.4656 / 51°27'56"N
Longitude: -0.1149 / 0°6'53"W
OS Eastings: 531041
OS Northings: 175755
OS Grid: TQ310757
Mapcode National: GBR LX.CS
Mapcode Global: VHGR5.YFL9
Entry Name: The Academy
Listing Date: 16 January 1974
Last Amended: 27 March 1981
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1064934
English Heritage Legacy ID: 204691
Location: Lambeth, London, SW9
Electoral Ward/Division: Ferndale
Built-Up Area: Lambeth
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: Stockwell, St Andrew and St Michael
Church of England Diocese: Southwark
IN THE ENTRY FOR:-
STOCKWELL ROAD, SW9
18/931 Nos 211 to 219 (odd)
16.1.74 (formerly listed as The
The grade shall be upgraded to Grade II* (star) and the description shall be
amended to read:-
Cinema, now Concert Hall. 1929 by Edward Stone and T R Somerford. Steel frame
clad in cream and green faience. Plan of double-height auditorium with balcony,
reached by 2-storey hall from single-storey entrance foyer on corner site.
Two-storey front, with moulded faience panels and parapet, is dominated by
copper half-dome over entrance foyer with double doors. Interior: very fine
entrance foyer with banded square columns and bold terrazzo flooring to ground
floor, and fluted columns and pilasters to first floor surrounding octagonal
well with Art Deco metal balustrade to balcony and double staircase; channelled
rustication of ground floor walling contrasts with decorative plaster panels
framed by fluted pilasters to first floor; fine original light fittings;
coffered ceiling with decorative glazing to square and octagonal skylights.
Auditorium designed as an 'atmospheric' based on an Italian Renaissance garden
with monumental Renaissance-style architecture ground proscenium and along side
walls; towers flank miniature loggia based on the Rialto bridge across the
proscenium arch; towers are fronted by balconies set on Composite half-columns
framing statues and central round-arched niche; series of domes, pilastered
walls, balustrades, pediments and statues to rest of side walls, all surmounted
by artificial trees; decorative plaster decoration to front of circle balcony.
Noted as the best surviving example of an atmospheric in Britain, along with the
Astoria Finsbury Park.
STOCKWELL ROAD SW9
1. (north-east side)
Nos 211 to 219 (odd)
(The Odeon Astoria
TQ 3175 18/931 Cinema)
Originally called the Astoria Cinema. 1929 by Edward Stone. Half-domed entrance
portico. The interior is designed in imitation of a mediterranean scene with
loggia on each side of 4 pairs of Corinthian columns with balustrade above and,
behind this, a street scene of archway, pavilion, statue and small house. Imitation
corridor of round-headed arches over the proscenium arch.
Listing NGR: TQ3104175755
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings