This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.4812 / 51°28'52"N
Longitude: -0.1228 / 0°7'22"W
OS Eastings: 530448
OS Northings: 177472
OS Grid: TQ304774
Mapcode National: GBR JR.L6
Mapcode Global: VHGR5.T1FC
Entry Name: The Vat House, Flats 1 to 16
Listing Date: 29 July 1977
Last Amended: 11 November 1999
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1064949
English Heritage Legacy ID: 204630
Location: Lambeth, London, SW8
Electoral Ward/Division: Oval
Built-Up Area: Lambeth
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: South Lambeth St Anne and All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Southwark
TQ 3077 REGENTS BRIDGE GARDENS
963/7/850 The Vat House, flats 1-16
Former vat house and clock tower, now flats. Circa 1810, clock tower altered 1916 after fire. Refurbished and converted to flats, 1980's. Formerly Beaufoy Vinegar Works. Stock brick with stone dressings. Flat roofs. Timber clock tower and cupola. Three storeys, seven uneven bays to side elevations. Ground and first floor segmental headed openings, inserted entrance in south elevation. Upper floor rectangular openings with flat lintels. Continous first floor storey band. Tall cylindrical chimney to north. Symmetrical west elevation in three bays, three storeys and attic. Central entrance rising through two storeys flanked by segmental headed openings. Similar openings to third storey. Attic storey small opening in recessed semicircular arch, set in tall brick parapet with flanking swept gables. Stone cornice and blocking course. Rectangular timber rusticated clock tower on shallow base, clock to each face. Above, timber cupola of eight Doric columns supporting copper dome. Bell inscribed THOMAS MEARS LONDON FOUNDER 1843. Former water tower to east. Five storeys in stock brick with iron plates of tank above. Segmental headed openings to five bay east elevation and three bay south elevation., some blank. Interior converted to flats.
Cherry and Pevsner, London, 2: South, 1983, p.370
Survey of London, Vol.XXVI, pt.II, 1956, p.69
Listing NGR: TQ3044877472
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings