History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

St Margarets House

A Grade II Listed Building in St Peter's, London

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5299 / 51°31'47"N

Longitude: -0.0545 / 0°3'16"W

OS Eastings: 535051

OS Northings: 183012

OS Grid: TQ350830

Mapcode National: GBR J8.8Y5

Mapcode Global: VHGQV.0TK2

Entry Name: St Margarets House

Listing Date: 27 September 1973

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1065102

English Heritage Legacy ID: 206156

Location: Tower Hamlets, London, E2

County: London

District: Tower Hamlets

Electoral Ward/Division: St Peter's

Built-Up Area: Tower Hamlets

Traditional County: Middlesex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Church of England Parish: St John on Bethnal Green

Church of England Diocese: London

Find accommodation in
Bethnal Green

Listing Text

In the entry for:-

OLD FORD ROAD E2
51/3583 (north side)

5/199 No 21 (St Margaret's
27.9.73 House) and attached
Chapel

II GV

The description shall be amended to read:-

House and attached chapel. Built 1753 by Anthony Nott, Carpenter; remodelled in
1903; rear wing built 1903 as clubroom and bedrooms by a Mr Williams and chapel
built 1904 by Paul Waterhouse. Flemish bond brick with late C19 stucco to front;
hipped slate roofs; hipped plain tile roof to rear wing; brick ridge stacks, and
lateral stacks to rear wing. Double-depth plan with rear wing making L-plan with
rear right wing. 3 storeys with basement; 7-window range. Bracketed pediment
over late C19 six-panelled door with fanlight set in moulded wood architraves.
Flat rendered arches over horned 12-pane sashes and tall 18-pane sashes to first
floor on left above inserted 3-light window with central door, all of c.1903;
heavy coved cornice above first-floor windows. Rear wing of 2-storey, 7-window
range has semi-circular arches over large ground-floor windows, including 3-bay
projection, and first-floor casements with glazing bars. Interior: panelled
doors; fine dog-leg staircase with turned balusters set on closed string and with
panelled dado; first-floor room to right has mid C18 panelling, moulded cornice
and eared architrave with dentilled cornice to fireplace with ducks nest grate.
Rear wing of 1903 has moulded cornicing to ground-floor beams, and first-floor
bedrooms with bolection-panelled overmantles and bolection-moulded architraves to
fireplaces with Delft-tile surrounds. Subsidiary features: small chapel, built of
brick with gabled plain tile roof, attached by short brick wall to rear; west
gable end has gauged red brick semi-circular arch over panelled double doors with
bracketed flat hood and glazing bars to overlight, and fine glazed terracotta
memorial to P R Buchanan in the style of Della Robbia with Annunciation scene set
in enriched semi-circular frame. Interior: fine 3-bay rood screen, in white
painted wood with gilding, has 4 octagonal Ionic columns to entablature which is
swept above triple keystone set in semi-circular arched entry and surmounted by
statues of Christ on the Cross flanked by St Mary Magdalene and St John; gallery
to west end; plaster barrel vaulted ceiling with raised ribs to continuous cornice
and console brackets; fine stained glass to north namely St Mary by Powells and SS
Margaret, Mildred and Cecilia by Heaton, Butler and Payne; various memorial
tablets. St Margaret's House was established in 1889 as a residential settlement
engaged in social work in Bethnall Green, and moved to No. 21 in 1903.

-----------------------------------------------
OLD FORD ROAD E3
1. (North Side)
4431 No 21
(St Margaret's House)
51/3583 5/199
II GV
2.
C18 early. Stuccoed facade with brick and tile coping to parapet above 2nd floor.
Hipped pantiled roof. 3 storeys and basement. 7 windows in groups of 2, 3 and
2, recessed sashes with glazing bars. Entrance door similar to Nos 17 and 19
with fanlight and replaced pedimented hood on brackets. Interior has good panelled
rooms.

The Terrace, No 5 (Netteswell House) and Nos 15 to 21 (odd) form a group with
the Church and Priory of Our Lady of the Assumption, Victoria Park Square.


Listing NGR: TQ3505183012

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.