This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.5304 / 51°31'49"N
Longitude: -0.0557 / 0°3'20"W
OS Eastings: 534961
OS Northings: 183073
OS Grid: TQ349830
Mapcode National: GBR J8.8M3
Mapcode Global: VHGQT.ZSDM
Entry Name: Town Hall
Listing Date: 27 September 1973
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1065243
English Heritage Legacy ID: 205815
Location: Tower Hamlets, London, E2
District: Tower Hamlets
Electoral Ward/Division: St Peter's
Built-Up Area: Tower Hamlets
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: St John on Bethnal Green
Church of England Diocese: London
TQ 3483 CAMBRIDGE HEATH ROAD, E2
788/4/7 Town Hall
Town hall. 1910 by Percy Robinson FRIBA (1868-1950) with W Alban Jones; eastern extension 1937-9 by E P C Monson FRIBA (1871-1941). Portland stone with slate roof.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys above basement. Edwardian part consists of a 3-bay west facade with cupola over arched recess above entrance, with sculptural group of Charity by Henry Poole over the door and banded rustication to ground floor. 9-bay north facade with sculpture of justice by Henry Poole under Diocletion window and pediment. Tall windows within enriched frames to 1st floor. Inter-war extension to east continues the earlier buildings cornice level but has an attic storey above. It consists of a 3-storey 19-bay front with a central 3-bay pedimented centre, with floral panels at 2nd floor level of the centrepiece with relief of the Blind Beggar of Bethnal Green upon the balcony over the entrance.
INTERIOR: extensive original features remain. The Edwardian town hall has an entrance, stairwell and 1st-floor landing with veined marble floors, lining to walls and balusters to stairs and lit by a glazed dome; armorial glass to the stairwell. 2 Committee Rooms and the former Mayor's Parlour along the Cambridge Heath Road elevation, lined with Austrian oak panelling. Former Council Chamber opposite stairs: stage and former public gallery have been enclosed for office use. Plaster figures by Henry Poole depicting Truth and Happiness on west wall and Industry and Temperance on the east (presently hidden from sight). The 1937-39 extension interior has a marble-lined entrance hall with inlaid marble floor, and imperial staircase, lined with Travertine and retaining numerous original light fittings, stair posts, square columns and pilasters faced in veined brown-grey marble. First floor landing with pedimented door surrounds of Hopton Wood stone. New Council Chamber retains its original benches, desks, mayor's seat and gallery, all panelled with Australian walnut, and its heraldic glass. Sequence of former Committee Rooms along the Patriot Square elevation with maple veneer panelling and divided by folding doors. Former Mayor's Room with mahogany panelling, contemporary fireplace, shelving and teak floor, opposite another similar room.
Listing NGR: TQ3497983076
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings