History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Kneller Hall and Boundary Walls royal Military School of Music

A Grade II Listed Building in Whitton, London

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.4551 / 51°27'18"N

Longitude: -0.3508 / 0°21'2"W

OS Eastings: 514685

OS Northings: 174191

OS Grid: TQ146741

Mapcode National: GBR 6C.081

Mapcode Global: VHFTL.VPXD

Entry Name: Kneller Hall and Boundary Walls royal Military School of Music

Listing Date: 25 June 1983

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1065380

English Heritage Legacy ID: 205540

Location: Richmond upon Thames, London, TW2

County: London

District: Richmond upon Thames

Electoral Ward/Division: Whitton

Built-Up Area: Richmond upon Thames

Traditional County: Middlesex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Church of England Parish: St Philip and St James Whitton

Church of England Diocese: London

Find accommodation in
Hounslow

Listing Text

1.
5028 KNELLER ROAD

Royal Military School of
Music, Kneller Hall and
boundary walls
TQ 1474 16/1

II


2.
Originally built 1709-11 for Sir Godfrey Kneller, much altered and extended to its
present elaborate neo-Jacobean form by George Mair, 1848.
A particularly fine symmetrical main elevation (east front): Brick and stone,
3 storeys, 'E' plan form, the projecting centre containing the entrance, having a large
square, 3-storey bay window, mullioned and transomed, crowned by an elaborate parapet
with a coat of arms. The bay window projects beyond flanking square towers with flush
bonded quoin stones, stone storey bands and slit windows, each tower crowned by a
cornice and leaded ogee cupola. On either side, 3-bay recessed wings link the centre
composition with 3-bay projecting wings, all with rusticated quoins, mullioned and
transomed windows with architrave surrounds and pierced parapets, the centre bays of
each wing front being enriched with superimposed orders of coupled pilasters and
crowned by an elaborate open strapwork gable, crowned by a little pediment. The
projecting wings are linked to form an entrance court behind an open arcaded stone
screen with a Doric order with mannered details. Balustraded guard each arched
opening with the exception of the centre bay which is treated as a projecting pediment
entrance containing steps up toward the door in the centre of the darn range. Later
additions to limited interest. Interior not seen, but stained glass in windows of
central bay.


Listing NGR: TQ1468574191

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.