This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.4497 / 51°26'58"N
Longitude: -0.3167 / 0°19'0"W
OS Eastings: 517066
OS Northings: 173647
OS Grid: TQ170736
Mapcode National: GBR 76.GT9
Mapcode Global: VHGR2.GTFJ
Entry Name: Montpelier House south End House walls, Piers, Railings and Gazebo in Grounds
Listing Date: 2 September 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1065391
English Heritage Legacy ID: 205566
Location: Richmond upon Thames, London, TW1
District: Richmond upon Thames
Electoral Ward/Division: Twickenham Riverside
Built-Up Area: Richmond upon Thames
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: St Stephen Twickenham
Church of England Diocese: London
5028 MONTPELIER ROW
No 29 (Montpelier House)
No 30 (South End House)
Walls, piers, railings and
gazebo in grounds
TQ 1773 21/11 2.9.52
These 2 houses form one block rather more elaborately finished than the rest. In
addition to red brick bands and dressings, they-have a brick cornice and a panelled
No 29 consists of a 3-storey, 3-window main block with cornice and parapet, and a
2-storey, 2-window wing to right with wooden lean-to on flat above. Beyond this wing
to right, is a later 2-storey, 2-window addition. Doorcase with fluted Doric pilasters
and cornice hood. Brick wall in front with 4 piers with stone vases. Good iron railing
and overthrow. Modern iron gate. Glazing bars gone from ground floor windows to left.
No 30 (South End House) is larger than the rest and stands at the end of the row with
the gates to its grounds facing down the road.
It is 3-storey, 5 windows with a later (C20) painted stone or cement doorcase. The
2 windows to the left on the top floor have been enlarged and have lost their glazing
bars. The side overlooking the garden towards the river is also of 5 windows. To its
left is a one-storey "Gothick" stucco addition, now painted pale green, with a semi-
hexagonal bay with tall pointed windows.
At the back of the main block, one-window wings project to the depth of one blank
window. Interiors not seen.
Listing NGR: TQ1706673647
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings