History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Mausoleum of Sir Richard and Lady Burton, Churchyard of St Mary Magdalen

A Grade II* Listed Building in Mortlake and Barnes Common, London

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.4682 / 51°28'5"N

Longitude: -0.2614 / 0°15'41"W

OS Eastings: 520860

OS Northings: 175793

OS Grid: TQ208757

Mapcode National: GBR 8V.BR7

Mapcode Global: VHGR3.FC5B

Entry Name: Mausoleum of Sir Richard and Lady Burton, Churchyard of St Mary Magdalen

Listing Date: 30 October 1973

Last Amended: 7 October 2004

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1065392

English Heritage Legacy ID: 205570

Location: Richmond upon Thames, London, SW14

County: London

District: Richmond upon Thames

Electoral Ward/Division: Mortlake and Barnes Common

Built-Up Area: Richmond upon Thames

Traditional County: Surrey

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Church of England Parish: Mortlake with East Sheen

Church of England Diocese: Southwark

Find accommodation in
Kew Gardens

Listing Text


22/13/4 NORTH WORPLE WAY
30-OCT-73 Mortlake
Mausoleum of Sir Richard and Lady Burt
on, churchyard of the Roman Catholic S
t Mary Magdalen

(Formerly listed as:
NORTH WORPLE WAY
Mortlake
Mausoleum of Sir Richard and Lady Burt
on, churchyard of St Mary Magdalen)
(Formerly listed as:
NORTH WORPLE WAY SW14
Mortlake
Mausoleum of Sir Richard Burton in the
churchyard of Church of St Mary Magda
len)

II*
Mausoleum. c1890. Mausoleum in the shape of a Bedouin tent made of Carrara marble
and Forest of Dean stone, 12 feet square and 18 feet high.The roof has a gilt tailed 9 point star, the pelmet was enriched with stars and crescents, and the rear originally had a stained glass panel showing the Burton monogram, now replaced in clear glass. Entrance, now blocked, has a crucifix above. Door has inscription "To Sir Richard Francis Burton 1821-1890 and Isabel d.1896". Beneath is a poem by Justin Huntly McCarthy. Interior, visible through rear glass panel contains above ground ornate tapering coffin with extensive gilt enrichment for Sir Richard Burton, with crucifix and camel bells. There is a more conventional mahogany coffin for Lady Burton. Painted roof representing the heavens with stars and seraphim and strings of camel bells. Shrine to rear wall and religious paintings of Christ with Magdalene and Crucifixion to sides and Arabic lamps on floor. This burial was a response to Sir Richard Burton's horror of darkness. An extra ordinary mixture of chapelle ardente and Bedouin tent.

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.