History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

352, Kew Road

A Grade II Listed Building in Kew, London

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.4822 / 51°28'55"N

Longitude: -0.287 / 0°17'13"W

OS Eastings: 519048

OS Northings: 177308

OS Grid: TQ190773

Mapcode National: GBR 7Z.BBP

Mapcode Global: VHGR2.Z04K

Entry Name: 352, Kew Road

Listing Date: 10 January 1950

Last Amended: 28 July 2000

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1065414

English Heritage Legacy ID: 205524

Location: Richmond upon Thames, London, TW9

County: London

District: Richmond upon Thames

Electoral Ward/Division: Kew

Built-Up Area: Richmond upon Thames

Traditional County: Surrey

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Church of England Parish: Kew St Anne

Church of England Diocese: Southwark

Find accommodation in
Kew Bridge

Listing Text

TQ1977 KEW ROAD
22/9/35 No.352
10-JAN-1950
(Formerly listed as: KEW ROAD
No.350 PARK HOUSE)

(Formerly listed as: KEW ROAD
NO.352 ADAM HOUSE)

(Formerly listed as: KEW ROAD
No.354 BURNAGE)

Formerly listed as: KEW ROAD
No.350-354)

GV II*

House, the centre of a symmetrical terrace of three. Formerly listed with Nos. 350 and 354. Formerly known as Heathfield House. Late (18 (after 1771) and early C19, altered later C19. Built by the Engleheart family. Brick, stucco rendered, stock brick at rear. Tiled mansard roof, slate lean-to extensions, tiled catslide. Three storeys and basement, three bay symmetrical facade. Doorcase, slender debased Ionic pilasters, frieze with figure brackets, central embellished panel, blind fanlight with plasterwork fan above Leda and the Swan. Door of six raised and fielded panels, L hinges. Formerly under a splayed roofed porch. Canted flat-roofed bay windows with horned sashes. Plain first floor storey band. Upper floors, near flush horned sashes, to left and right first floor with shallow aprons, rendered cills at second floor. Rendered parapet with cornice band. Rear. Extended to right under slate roof which forms near continuous roof at first floor across building. Ground floor extension beyond, also under slate roof, and with part replaced late C19 French windows with margin glazing. To left, former kitchens under tiled catslide roof and with three light casement, now linked to former single storey bakehouse. Central greenhouse, with small paned sashes with slender glazing bars, depicted in mid C19 painting The Pet by Walter Deverell. Former rear door, part-glazed small paned sashes with slender glazing bars, under overlight, above reeded lintel. First floor two-light casement to left, tall central landing window, small paned with slender moulded glazing bars, single and two light casements to right. Full height dormers one a single light, one a two-light horizontal sliding sash. Large stack set on rear roof, part rebuilt; gable end stacks.
INTERIOR: Pine stair, painted balusters, closed string dog-leg, turned newels on square bases, rectangular stick balusters, moulded rail. Palm frond cornice, paired brackets to rear hall. Dining room (right), windows flanked by pilasters with anthemion relief capitals. Similar opposing alcove at rear. Trailing vine leaf dado rail. Alcove wall to left of chimneypiece horizontal boarded. Plasterwork ceiling, said to be by Francis Engleheart (possibly son of Thomas) inspired by Adam. Central painted circular panel, said to be c.1800, restored, mythical pastoral scene; radiating central panel, rectangular outer panels all in low relief. Drawing room (left), fluted window architrave, rear doorway, flanking pilasters with anthemion capitals, tall plain frieze except for rosettes with husked garlands over plain blind fanlight. Anthemion cornice. Both front rooms have vertically sliding shutters. Ground floor doors of six panels with moulded astragals. Rear ground floor carved mantlepiece and iron duck's nest grate, said to have been brought from upper floor. Kitchen cupboards, C19 reusing earlier fabric. Lobby, with former rear window, painted by current (2000) owner's father. Rear door of two panels with replaced strap hinges. Upper floors, doors of four or two panels, attic closet door with L hinges. Plain timber mantelpieces with moulded architrave, C19 grate in attic bedroom. Shutters to first floor front rooms.
Built by the Engleheart family, the sons of Francis Engleheart included Thomas, (1745- 1786) the sculptor, and George, (1752 -1839), miniature painter to George III. The Englehearts owned the house until c1885. !850- 53 it was the home of Walter Deverell (1827- 54), Pre-Raphalite artist and the setting for' A Pet' (now at the rate). Home of Mrs Bonavia and the setting of her portrait by Henry Lamb R.A. 1916.


Listing NGR: TQ1904277303

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.